EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Hello, and 1.8T advice

Hey guy's

Hello, as you can see I'm new here, from my user name you can assume I have a Mk3 Golf VR6, non highline but with later OBD2 engine. This is my first time here but I do frequent performancevwmag.com.

I have the following question which I posted on the other site but had no response and wondered if I would fair better over here, so here goes:

I have a work colleague who is looking at purchasing a second hand Golf 1.8T or Audi A3 1.8T (probably the 150bhp version), He is looking at one with around 80K miles on the clock, do you have any advice as to what to look for ( any known common weakneses/problems to look for: body work, engine ,gear box,TURBO etc). Also his main concern is to Turbo reliability, any one know what sort of milage a reasonably well looked after turbo should be good to? ( I know a lot of reliability issues are down to how well someone has looked after it, but any feel for what milage should be expected?)

Also if he were unlucky to pick one which ended up needing a new turbo in the future any ideas as to how much it would cost to replace one?

I suppose one other question would be are there any tips on what to check out on a test drive, what revs should the turbo kick in, what should it pull like, checking for exhaust smoke, noises to look out for ( i suppose a nice whistling sound from the engine bay snail would be good!!) etc, I know the main things to look for on second hand cars but don't have any experience of turbo specific cars and wondered if there were any tricks of the trade tests that should be done to find a good turbo'd motor.

I know there are a lot of questions here, but any advice you can give will be greatly received, it may also come in useful if/when I decide to change the VR.

Thanks.

MOZ

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: Hello, and 1.8T advice

Hello there and welcome to the fold - i have just purchased a 1998 Audi A3 1.8T with 140,000 miles on the clock! She is sweet as a nut and runs brilliantly no problems yet touch wood??!!

As long as it has a comprehensive history the rest is the usual checks and observations. With regards to turbo costs i don't know that one but sure someone on here will!

Hope this helps

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: Hello, and 1.8T advice

Cheers for the info guys,
    He has bought one, so I will encourage him to register to the site himself.

Thanks again

MOZ