Hi

Alx

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just popped across from uk-mkiv's to try and cram as much info as I can before switching from VW to Audi. I'm currently driving a Golf V6 4motion which I love, but with a growing family it's just too small. The plan is to sell it in the next month or so then look for an A6 Avant. I'm currently checking autotrader/ebay etc and reading up on What Car and Parkers to try and gain more knowledge of the model before buying. My budget isn't huge - only around 6k so I'll be looking for a higher mileage model. As for the engine I'm open to advice - I love the VW V6 and would be happy with something similar but I'm also not against the idea of an oil burner. I'm also keen on keeping the 4wd so will be looking for a quattro (I believe the A6 quattro is different from the Haldex on the 4motion?).

Anyway, I probably be pestering for info in the A6 forum so apologies in advance!

Cheers,

Alex

Hiya. Hope you find us a freindly and helpful bunch.

VAG 4wd systems in simple terms are either quattro or haldex. The easy way to tell is if the engine is mounted in-line or transverse. So golf and A3 are haldex and A4/6/8 VW passat are quattro. The badge that is on the car is just marketing ;) The quattro system is 'proper' permanent 4wd and the haldex system is 2wd that transfers torque to the rear wheels when the front slips. (A S3 owner might tell you different but thats the general idea :shrug:).

Diesel or petrol? Diesel is more economical and faster in day-to-day driving than the basic figures suggest, but a petrol is ultimately quicker.

Don't worry too much about mileage, if its been correctly maintained then most VAG engines can easily see 200k miles - diesels especially so.

hello and welcome to the site !