Thinking of buying an A4 3.0 quattro cab

Firefly

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently have a Porsche boxster but am thinking of changing this month to an A4 cab 3.0 quattro. Any recommendations/advice suggestions??

Cheers

i think you'd love a 3.0 quattro, only one way to tell though, drive one !
I dont think it would be as much "fun" to drive as a boxster, but definately more practical and refined.

Im actually thinking of going the other way, looking at some Carrera 2's at the mo :)

3.0 Q is a lovely drive, but i def agree get your bum in one and give it ago, it won't be the quickest car around town but really smooth and great on a long journey, nice exhaust tone too.

Swap RS for 996 C2 I would maybe go further to 996 4S let me know if you want one I might be able to help you out on the porsche front!!

I drove one at the weekend and it was great - not as much fun as the boxster but , as you said, more refined, classier and a nice 'easy drive' rather than having to make an effort!!

Is this the best model to go for other than the S4?

If anyone wants a boxster (immaculate) let me know :smile:

if your talking about the b6 S4, then no, i would say that is better than the 3.0. But the B5 S4 wouldnt beat the 3.0 i dont think.

Marmite, tell me more !

Well I'am going to through a spanner into the works now!

S4 all day long lovely well balanced and looks great! I've driven both manaul and tip and my money would be on the tip, it would be quicker then 3.0Q for sure tons more torque, which ever you choose is great drive both and see..depends if you worry about MPG really and insurance..S4 sounds top too you will find yourself nailing it through tunnels just to hear it(sad bas_ard I know)

But something diff is the 2.5tdi Q now tons of torque loads of MPG and still fast, with the tip box good all road car!!

User the dealer and the salesman to your advantage drive them where you want to go not there set borin route!!

i think the 3.0 cab will give you the best handling to remind you of the porsche the 3.0 is an aluminium engine far lighter than s4 2.7t or 4.2.. if your into tuning go for the 2.7t, or you want raw power 4.2, 3.0 is almost a handling package with the right chassis mods dare i say better than 1.8t handling , in the cab it may not be so noticeable i believe they're heavier than the saloon, 2.7t is not available in cab so assuming you are looking at the 4.2. or if your flexible ^^ you can't go wrong with a tdi's fuel economy

most pop cab selling was the 1.8T sales said it's quick off the mark and more buzzy then the 3.0, they never spoke about the 2.4 and very rarley saw one.
3.0Q is heavy not quick off the mark but once she is going lovely, nothing like the boxster, dif bread really, rear wheel drive mid engined toy, something to throw about espically the S model with esp(psm) off.

S4 cab is wicked, extra weight does slow it down but still rocket fast and sound the nuts!! The V8 purrs along.they don't make a bad S series!

Easy for me to say but it is up too you they don't make a bad cab.
Depending on age check out hood operation they did have probs at the start and the front catches needed changing and the sunvisors rattle, apart from that they are good, oh yeah when folding the roof back make sure it folds back ok section by rear windows as they catch sometimes damaging the hood lining so check these points out if buying used even if from a dealer.

Good luck anyway and we need to see pics once you get it

I've just been told that A4's have suffered with their gearboxes. Any truth to this??

If so what should I look out for???

:bye:

only the multitronic
if getting Q don't worry about the g/box!!

Multi had tons of issues

So I take it the quattro gearboxes (both manual an multi) are fine?!

Q box is a normal 5 speed Tip box not multitronic
Multitronic is only for the front wheel drive, great idea and lovely to drive but it just had too many hick ups

The Q box is proven and well used for years tried and tested and very very raely have a problem.

3.0Q is a lovely car

Just swapped my 225 TT for a 54 reg 3.0 quattro sport cab with all the toys and it felt much slower at first due to the extra weight, but must say after getting used to it over the past 4 weeks it is a great car. If I had the cash I would of had the 3.0 tdi quattro but times are hard....:yes: