Chipping

SkudRS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this site but it looks great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am after a bit of advice & from what I have seen from past discussions here you guys are the right poeple to ask.

I have an Octavia vRS & absolutily love it ( & the look on other drivers facs when they are getting left behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but I feel the time has come for a bit more grunt - I am looking at the chipping options & like the idea of having differnt modes for the chip as APR & Revo do, does anyone have any views on which would be the best option, as from what I can see they offer similar performance gains for similar ££. any one had any good/bad experinces with either?

Cheers, I look forward to meeting some of you at up coming meets.

Hi

Best thing is to search through the forum for tuning / chipping. There's quite a few discussions about them!

Gambba wrote a good list of the main tuners; MTM, Oettinger, AmD, APR and Jabbasport to name but a few.

think you find both system are fine and like you say offer pretty much the same bits

the only thing i liked apr more than revo for was the way to switch the programs apr is via cruise control stalk and revo is via a dongl box

either way you find it does make the car much more fun, there are other system out there as well from amd, jabba and others

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
I'd probably be one of the most experienced site user, but if I gave you my opinion I'd probably get a finger waved at me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ma gawd, 'ere we go again!!! Just say what you think John - that's all anyone can do.

Personally all I feel qualified to say on this subject is that I have a Revo chip and I am not having any problems. I am enjoying it immensely. I have it on High Boost 9 permanently (1.5 bar). <b>Estimated</b> BHP is 270bhp - think torque is about 282 lbs/ft. (needs verifying with RR). It goes like sh*t and I only slow down for pussy cats.

[/ QUOTE ]

cough, like I said any remapped car will feel quicker well most /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The only problem I have is the fact someone out there is telling one thing where another is actually true, that alone would make me wonder about everything else they claim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
The only problem I have is the fact someone out there is telling one thing where another is actually true, that alone would make me wonder about everything else they claim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As a point of observation John. People reading your remarks might think you are referring to my post. I can assure anyone reading that any observations provided by me with regards to my vehicle's performance are, to the best of my knowledge, true and accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Perhaps you can confirm that you are not referring to anything I have said, please?

I'm so sensitive I'm going to cry now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Well here's a big hug to stop you crying !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes please! Is that okay with you, John?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Well here's a big hug to stop you crying !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes please! Is that okay with you, John?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate I had tried to make the 'estimated' bit in bold in when I quoted you, so it wasn't aimed at you mate, and no you can't hug Jo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mind you I could do with a cold shower as well!!!!
It's too darn hot today!

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
Actually I've heard that fuel economy improves with chipping in theory but practice is a different matter. My S3 used to average around 29 MPG as standard, but now with chipping is around 27.5 MPG, but it all depends on my mood which normally ranges bewten crazed, insane or just pure psychotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with my Oettinger A3 I've found that as long as I keep it at or below 4k rpm, my fuel economy is quite a bit improved (from 11.5 l/100km to avg. 9.3-9.5). HOWEVER, when running it OVER 4k, economy drops rapidly. (I burnt over 15 liters getting home from work one day, and it's a 114km trip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well if we are going on the principle of highest figures win then I would say that Oettinger offers the highest figures based on what research I did.....but we know that's not the way we go.

Honestly you can't go wrong with the top tuners IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Well if we are going on the principle of highest figures win then I would say that Oettinger offers the highest figures based on what research I did.....but we know that's not the way we go.

Honestly you can't go wrong with the top tuners IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree...

AmD, APR, MTM, Oettinger .etc are all as god as each other but offer different products.. which one you go for really does depend on your driving style! they all produce similar results, but in different places in the rev range. It ALWAYS comes down to personal preference, and peak figures mean very little.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
Sportec who are just releasing some awesome tuning packages, including the 460hp 1.8T kit I'm due to release on the website in the next few days

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh sounds good, it sounds like Sportec and Jabba are really pushing the envelope these days, which is fantastic.