Hi from Staffordshire

AndyN01

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks for lots of posts that can be easily viewed berfore joining.

My wife & I are looking to move house but the one we've found is towards the bottom of a short but steepish hill that never sees salt or a gritter.

So..... we're looking for a quattro. Reliability is the most important issue as we're coming from 2 Toyotas, a 1.8 pertol Carina, sold at 129K having had nothing go wrong and currently a 2.0 petrol Avensis still going strong (touch wood) at 142K again with nothing gone wrong.

We'll have about 5-6K to spend so it looks like a B6 A4, probably a TDi but I know nothing about diesels.

So far I've picked up that the 1.9TDi is pretty well bomb proof providing oil changes/cam belt done. There's the sticking turbo blades dealt with by Mr Muscle, the EGR valve dealt with by normal muscle, temp sender unit and slow wiper blades (I fancy using acf50 anti corrosion grease on those). An odd mention of CV joints and glove box woes and grease up the suspension/steering bolts. Anything else?

Autotrader has some A4 Avants well in the price range and we quite fancy the practicality. However, they do have serious mileage. Some are 2.5 TDi's and I can't seem to find much about these at all (save a sticky about injectors). I've never had a V6! Real world MPG and running costs? Any thoughts or advice?

Looking forward to joining all you guys and girls.

All the best.

Andy N01

Hi Andy, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read over in the A4 section, the faqs threads have lots of info, if you cant see what you want to know, post your questions up in there and you will gets lots of helpful people answering. im sure you will really enjoy the forum. :) x

Welcome to the site Andy.

Just watch the 2.5tdi's as they had problems of there own, the 2.0 tdi had balance shaft issues so make sure its had the upgrade done & the mr muscle fix is temporary at best & turbo should be removed & cleaned manually, don't be put of as every car has its own issues, some minor some not so.

The fact you have research it already shows the willingness to learn about the brand, so kudo's to you mate as most cant be ***** tbh :)