Just joined the Audi club

Paul_A4_UK

Reaction score
Hello!

After 7 years of owning a lightly modified Peugeot 306-gti6 I decided it was time for a change. This was partly driven by the fact that my Peugeot was falling apart and was going to be costing me some serious £ to put it all right. It was also an excuse to buy another car, I've been looking on and off for the past three years. The Peugeot had a whole host of mods, Eibach springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, stiffer rear torsion bars, lightweight flywheel, PT81 cams, Blue-Flame exhaust with de-cat and re-map, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads all round. It was fun to drive and went round corners and stopped extremely well considering it only had a pad upgrade. It was however old and the noise factor was getting a little tedious to be honest. So I decided I wanted something more refined but not an all out slouch. So I ended up with an Audi A4 1.8T S-Line (190) non quattro. I paid £4900 for it and it has 64k on the clocks.

The car is in lovely condition although, and I'm kicking myself over this, I did not research enough into common problems and didn't notice when I was looking at the car to purchase it that the roof gutters have the dreaded bubbling under the paint. It doesn't look excessively bad and the car is only 9 years old so I'll be off to Audi to set about getting it sorted under the 12year warranty it has. Wish me good luck on that one, but I've done a little reading and I'm determined to get Audi to honour the warranty. I also noticed today when driving into work a sloshing noise of water. Quick google on getting to work and 10mins later I'm out removing the big bung that sits under the battery and also prodding the bung under the brake servo (Could just squeeze my hand in). Heard all the water drain out as I did this. So glad my spidey sense hearing picked it up whilst it was just a minimal amount of water as I read others had water coming into the cab and frying electrics due to this drain hole blockage issue.

The car is lovely to drive. Smooth, quiet, doesn't rattle / squeak or sound like its going to fall apart when I go over a bumpy road surface. If I'm being picky the steering has very little feel compared to the pug but I knew this would be the case. It also isn't as nippy as the pug, but that only weighed in at about 1230kg and had 190hp. It is a much nicer cabin to be sat in however and the driving position is a lot nicer too. I'm not overly concerned with mpg figures as I only do about 5k miles a year but cruising into work the trip comp is saying 35mpg which is pretty good considering its all 30mph / 40mph limits and only 7miles. The bonus of starting work at 7am and leaving after rush hour. Still there are plans ahead to give my car a little more oomph so that it has the same power to weight ratio that the pug did. Also some Ferodo DS2500 pads will be on my Christmas list as whilst the standard brakes are not that bad they don't quite have the same bite and power as the pug had.

There are a few scratches on the car that I need to sort which a little t-cut will fix but there is one stone chip ding in the front nearside wheel arch that has caused metal to show. I want to get some touch up paint and know my audi is blue but I do not know which blue. As of yet I haven't found the sticker on the car with the paint code on it. If someone could let me know where the sticker is that'd be great. Even better if you know which blue it'd be though I'm unsure how many blues Audi did the A4 B6 S-line in?

Once I've given it a proper clean / polish up I'll get some pics. First things first though and that is getting the car to Audi to try get this corrosion sorted out.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome to the forum! I had Doncaster sort my a3 roof rails on a 30/70 goodwill, yours is newer and less miles so should be ok! Im suprised at your brakes being better on the pug, you either got lucky with the 306 or your a4 needs attention!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not saying the brakes are bad on the Audi, they just dont have the all out stopping power and feel over the setup on the Pug, of course the Audi is a little heavier but I'd expect Audi to have take that into consideration when they designed the brake setup. I don't expect it though as DS2500 pads if bedded in correctly are damn good!! It may be a case that the brake fluid in the Audi is a little past it too, though it has Audi service history up until the last two stamps. I'll put some decent DOT4 or DOT5.1 when I fit DS2500's and I'm sure that'll get the brakes up to scratch.

Welcome to aud-sport.net Paul. Headover to the A4 section, lots of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Welcome to the site Paul.

Glad you saved yourself the cost of the module getting water damaged, enjoy your stay :)