Hi guys, first car!!

L-Jam

Reaction score
After six years of riding motorbikes it became impractical to solely rely on one, so I've listed my Suzuki GSX-R 750 K7 that I've had for the past two years and am spending the money on an A3. I've driven many cars in the past on parents insurance, but it's time to own one myself ha, I'm looking forward to it.

The model my Dad (used car dealer) has got in stock at the moment is a black '04 A3 1.6 petrol SE. What should I look out for? It's pretty much 100% the car I've set my sights on as I can insure it for £1,500 and buy it at trade price for £2,100. Would leave me with £4-800 (depends on how much bike sells for) to spend on the car, and I was thinking rims plus some other, subtle mods.

Really I'm asking you guys to throw in suggestions here, because I know a massive amount about motorbikes and working on them and a comparatively small amount on cars!

Also, what's the best option for playing my iPhone through the car speakers? Radio frequency thing or can you adapt the stereo to run an aux lead?

Thanks for taking an interest, if it seems like a good forum I plan on hanging around!

Reactions: Sandra
Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Head over to the A3 8P section. Lots of info in the faqs threads. Any pics of the car? Where are you located? Enjoy the forum.:) x

The whole practicality thing got you too then?! I took exactly the same route as you. Rode motorbikes for 7 years before swapping to four wheels. Spent far too much on various bikes in my younger years but did enjoy them immensely. Unlike my license did in the earlier days :banghead: I was very sad to see my last bike go, it was a mint condition (totally spotless) Honda VTR SP-2 in Castrol colours. Not the fastest or greatest but with a full Akro system on it the engine note was sublime.

Anyway welcome to the site too, I only joined up today as well. I can't give you sod all advice on the A3 other than I think that is the same era car as my A4 that I purchased and they are prone to getting corrosion in the gutters on the roof it appears. I missed it when looking over mine before I purchased it so that is one area of the car I would pay special attention too when looking it over.

Also, what's the best option for playing my iPhone through the car speakers? Radio frequency thing or can you adapt the stereo to run an aux lead

Welcome to the site.

Depends on your budget tbh, but don't waste your money on the fm transmitters as they're rubbish.

If you don't need the track etc data then auxin is way to go, but if you want all that data for artist, album & track & control via head unit, then oem wise its rns-e & ami unit for full use of music on the iphone, if interested, ping me a Pm as I can supply/fit these systems :)

Thanks Sandra, I've been browsing the A3 section all night! Will get some pics up ASAP. I'm in Cardiff, go to University in Bristol though.

Paul, unfortunately it has. I will definitely get another bike as soon as possible, but I need four wheels to supplement the two! It will break my heart to see the Gixxer go but it has to be, and I'm looking forward very much to getting my own car. I wouldn't change a thing about how I've progressed through vehicles though! You had an SP2 in Castrol colours? Were you ever a member of Bikechatforums? A bloke had one on there and I fell in love with the bike because of the pics he used to put up!

NHN, aux would be ideal as I prefer operating music through my phone anyway. Could you tell me/link me to a guide as to how to set this up and the probable costs? Thank you very much.

Could potentially be picking the car up tomorrow, very excited haha.

Given the age of car, you'd need a dension or xcarlink unit with iso connections, just do a search online for these & you will find them easily enough.

The GSXR's are awesome bikes. I owned a GSXR600 SRAD and a GSXR600k1. The k1 was probably the best all round bike I ever owned!

I do not believe I was a member of that forum but here are a few pics of my SP-2

SP 2 2

SP 2 3