Hi all, Introducing....me!

tbird_gprs

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have enjoyed this site for quite some time as I was previously an Audi 90E owner. As you can see I have just taken ownership of a shiney new Octavia vRS and decided to register.

Beautiful car, I would have said a while back that I wouldn't be seen dead in a Skoda. How times change!!!! I have never had so much attention while driving, parking or queuing at lights with folks wondering why on earth I'd want to put Skoda badges on a nice car like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif!!! Their loss, I'm just glad my brother told me to have a test drive while I was out looking for a Accord Type-R. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just need to build the cash store up again for RevoTechnik & SPS2, sort out the audio and polish with pride!!!

The power at the moment just seems to grow on every journey....at this rate I'll have cramp in my cheeks by the weekend!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Gavin

Welcome to the boards.

Another option instead of Revo is Jabbasport which is based near Peterborough, but then I suppose you're looking for the undetectability of revo for warranty.....

Exactly right Gambba, I am looking for invisible and switchable solutions to up-ing the go on the little gem (not really pleased with the car, am I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif??)

The dealer offered me 220bhp in house, so to speak....don't know what or how, though?!?!?

[ QUOTE ]
2003_vRS said:
Exactly right Gambba, I am looking for invisible and switchable solutions to up-ing the go on the little gem (not really pleased with the car, am I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif??)

The dealer offered me 220bhp in house, so to speak....don't know what or how, though?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Gavin and welcome to AS.net!!

Another option for the "stealth" uning approach is APR... they do switchable ECU's so that you can drive arounf normally on stock mode, and then when u want a bit of fun, swtich to high performance mode. I personally would go for APR over REVO as from looking at graphs, the APR chip will make it a nicer car to drive. But that is just my personal opinion.

Let us know what u decide on...

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rich,

Did you just go to the respective websites and have a look at the graphs or do you have other sources???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm now faced with decisions.....I'm no good with decisions!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Look at the graphs below... Notice on the revo how the torque climbs really steep then drops off equally as steep...

And then look at APR how it is nice and flat through the rev range... Flat is good... peaky is not.

Rich

Now.. the 2 graphs are from 2 different cars.. the revo from a Leon Cupra R, and the APR from S3... BUt seeing as its the same engine its irrelevent. Looking at the plots from the RS, the power delivery will be very similar to the S3 (APR) if u go for the apr, but obviously less... 207bhp i believe and 230lb/ft torque.

Rich

But is the RS engine not the same as that used in the A3TQ and 180 TT? If so then I would personally go with the dealer option of 220bhp, because normally the 180bhp engine only goes to 210bhp when chipped.

if it is an S3 engine then the 220bhp figure seems too low, so I figure it's the 180 engine (i.e. VVT and the K03S), with a couple of changes, not the S3 engine.

If someone confirms the above you'd be silly not to go with the dealer, especially as your car is so new.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
But is the RS engine not the same as that used in the A3TQ and 180 TT? If so then I would personally go with the dealer option of 220bhp, because normally the 180bhp engine only goes to 210bhp when chipped.

if it is an S3 engine then the 220bhp figure seems too low, so I figure it's the 180 engine (i.e. VVT and the K03S), with a couple of changes, not the S3 engine.

If someone confirms the above you'd be silly not to go with the dealer, especially as your car is so new.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually... Thats a damn good point! Although BHP is the least important of the 2. Get them to tell u wot the torque will be as its more important.

I believe that Revo is £500 and APR is £700... £200 difference but i think its worth it.

Rich

i'm not sure torque really enters the equation when I would say that the figures the dealer is offering is close to that of APR/Revo and you still keep the warranty.

Check with the dealer to see who the chip is from. I thought it might of been superchips, but they only state a 20bhp increase for the Skoda RS???!!

I had a word ith the dealer mechanic before I actually placed my order....in fact he was the one that came with me on the test-drive.

He said that they had built up a relationship with who-ever. They come to the garage and without lifting the bonnet upgrade the software. By that, I took it as serial software upgrade. He quoted 220bhp, the one I test drove was a year old and apparently had the upgrade on it. It certainly felt 'different' but I couldn't quantify it. I have seen quotes of 210bhp thrown around, so am now totally confused.

Perhaps someone can reduce the growing fog in my brain!!! All 1.8T engines have the same 'core' parts????? What varies is the other 'stuff' that each manufacturer bolts on??? So presumeably if I put intercooler from X, and DV from Y, change whatever from Audi Z I would get the standard 225bhp that is quoted on some cars????

Thanks

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wrong!

They are all VAG engines to start with, so most use exactly the same parts between Audi, VW, SEAT and Skoda, they don't tend to bolt on other parts.

The 1.8T engine however does come in different formats, and it is not just a matter of changing a DV here and there to up the engine to the next level.

The biggest difference is in Turbo's with the 150 having a K03 the 180 having a K03S (A K03 with K04 internals) and the 210 and 225 having a K04, these alone produce very different characteristics. Each ECU map between the engines is very different....

I would of thought that the correct figure that should be quoted to you would be 200-210bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
2003_vRS said:
All 1.8T engines have the same 'core' parts????? What varies is the other 'stuff' that each manufacturer bolts on??? So presumeably if I put intercooler from X, and DV from Y, change whatever from Audi Z I would get the standard 225bhp that is quoted on some cars????

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit : Looks like you got in first Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They're not all the same, that's why we're all wondering about the output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The 150/180BHP engines have different internals from the 210/225BHP engines. The higher BHP engines have forged/uprated internal components. They also have a different turbo and can normally be chipped to 260-280BHP roughly.

As Gambba says, the 150/180BHP engines normally produce about 200-210 when chipped.

Hope this clears things up a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks people, I now know what makes the same engine different!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I will keep you posted on my final choice. I mainly was looking at getting a free trial Revo upgrade to sample it first. Then choose which one is the most raved about, recommended etc

Thanks again Chaps!!!!

/Gavin

PS. Where's best to post questions of an 1.8T upgrade nature??? I asked a similar question on 'SKODA OCTAVIA' forum but didn't get very many responses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif