Audi A6 MMI update and AMI part numbers

abdulr001

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

im new to this forum and was wondering if someone could help?

i do realise there is a lot of threads on the above topic, but a confusing array of info! Basically I have a Audi A6 (2006) with 2G MMI High. I want to get an AMI unit but was told I would need to update the software. I think I'm on 2120. Audi won't sell me the discs and want 200 to do it themselves. I have managed to downloads the 3 discs, but have read about the problems faced by people, lost features, damaged modules etc. Lost features, I know someone with VCDS can get back, but worried about damaging the modules!

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't mind leaving car running for 2 hours, but also have a battery charger. Anyone living near in the Greater Manchester, and other areas like Bolton, Huddersfield! Bradford etc, who can help, and also restore the missing items via VCDS, I would be grateful! I don't mind paying something towards your time!

On the subject of AMI, spoken to some dealers, half say you can do it, albeit lose the cd changer, half say you can't, and only way is the Dension 500. I am looking for a second hand AMI unit, as a new one is beyond my range, but also getting conflicting info about the part numbers, I have 3 now! 8T0035785A, 8T0055785A, and 4E0057785F. Please help!!!!!! : (

Welcome to ASN.

You need AUDI MMI HIGH Firmware update 3CDs "5570" A6, A8, Q7 | eBay

You also need AMI unit 4E0 057 785F for MMI 2G.

And you can buy the whole kit here Audi Music Interface New Genuine AMI Ipod Interface MP3 Complete Retro-Fit Kit | eBay

Connect the battery charger via the points in the top left of the engine bay NOT directly to the battery.

Buy the discs themselves, downloaded ones can be buggy.

Your current FW is new enough so you won't lose any modules, its just if your FW has never been upated when it can cause problems.

8T0 is for the 8k chassis cars.

Last edited:
Thanks chris,

feeling a little better about the whole thing! Audi dealers are just useless! The info is just not consistent!

Even with 2120 modules can still fail during upgrade, the Bluetooth module is the most likely to fail during firmware update. I have once seen a HU fail a firmware update however the bootloader will retry the update if this happens.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Any pics of the car ? Where are you located? Enjoy the forum. :) x

Will it damage the module beyond use?
This is a firmware update, if it fails then there is little chance if recovering that module, the BT is the most problematic, and it's what most people see fail. sometimes you can just try the update again and it works other times it's a new module. I would say 99% of the time it will be fine, but you could be that 1%. One other thing is that the AMP can sometimes go into component protection, and you would have to get that cleared by your Audi dealer. Also don't use the downloaded disks you have get genuine, you just don't know if some has tampered with the firmware images!

Thanks for that info, really useful! I need to find someone local with VCDS who can help restore the missing items after update.

i need to try and find a second hand ami unit! Unfortunately with a new baby and having just bought the car, cannot really stretch to a new one! So if anyone is selling one, please let me know!

Sandra, I'm from the greater Manchester area. Only just bought the car, A6 2.7 S Line, 2006. Mileage was good and a brill level of kit, and a really good price. I will try load some pics up later, if you tell me how!

Also wanted to give my car a slightly newer look with some DRL headlamps, not the tacky after market stick on! Again if anyone knows any being sold for a reasonable price, please let me know!

thanks for all the advice so far! Good friendly people on here : )

just hope I can get my car looking how I want!

Thanks for that info, really useful! I need to find someone local with VCDS who can help restore the missing items after update.

i need to try and find a second hand ami unit! Unfortunately with a new baby and having just bought the car, cannot really stretch to a new one! So if anyone is selling one, please let me know!

Sandra, I'm from the greater Manchester area. Only just bought the car, A6 2.7 S Line, 2006. Mileage was good and a brill level of kit, and a really good price. I will try load some pics up later, if you tell me how!

Also wanted to give my car a slightly newer look with some DRL headlamps, not the tacky after market stick on! Again if anyone knows any being sold for a reasonable price, please let me know!

thanks for all the advice so far! Good friendly people on here : )

just hope I can get my car looking how I want!

Contact user N8 he is in manchester and im sure he will do a vcds scan for you. :) x

View Profile: N8 - Audi-Sport.net

Last edited:
PM s8craig, he can do the update for you. I'm not sure how much he charges but he know the MMI system very well, and is based in Manchester.

Thanks, already been in touch with Craig. Trying to save up for an ami, didn't realise they were so costly, and can't seem to find a second hand one.

btw if anyone knows the part number for a pair of a6 DRL headlights that will fit on mine, (2006) please let me know, or selling a pair for that matter!!