Premature Member!

Gweev

Reaction score
Hi all. I call myself a premature member as I don't actually own an Audi just yet!

My company car is due for a change later this year and I will be ordering it in late Spring. As I now ride a motorbike most of the time, the wife gets to choose my next company car and she wants a cabrio. I have given her only three choices, all 2.0TDI 140bhp 6sp and all sub-£30k: Audi A3 Sport, Golf GT or BMW 118d SE.

There's also a list of creature comforts we've got used to having :- Cruise control, folding mirrors, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors. Our current car also has a pop-up satnav on top of the dash, which we found we really miss, but its an expensive option so we might have to do without or retro-fit.

All three have their plus points. The BMW looks great on the outside and is the only one with a neat hard cover for the roof mechanism when its open (which doubles the time taken). However, the BMW costs over £30k when spec'd up, the dashboard is out of the 80's and the roof hits adult rear passengers on the head! Plus rear elbow room and boot space is ridiculous. Nope, the BMW is out. The Golf interior is better looking with part altantara seats as standard, and is the cheapest even with satnav. We test drove it four-up and it seemed fine, but the outside is a bit bland looking even in GT trim (apart from the wheels). Finally, we looked at the A3 Sport. It ticks the boxes on outside looks and the inside is good too, similar to the Golf which we liked. There's more room in the back than the others too. As we test drove it top-down along the country lanes of Winchester, the wife was shouting 'YES, YES' in an impression of 'When Harry Met Sally' and what sane man would argue with that!!

So, the A3 excites the wife (more than I do apparently!) and that's what we'll be ordering. Just need to finalise the colour and options.

Cheers for now.

Hi Sandra. Thanks for the welcome. The bike is a Suzuki GSXR750 k7 IoM :cool: I use it everyday to commute to work and at weekends whilst the wife n kids take the car, boring Peugeot 308!