The A3 is dead, long live the A3!

timhoward

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just thought I'd say hello as I joined the forum this morning as we have a new Audi on the way that is replacing my wifes beloved A3 S-Line, and as we are Audi mad I thought I should become a member!

Our A3 Sportback was delivered during March '10 and it has been my wifes pride and joy (which is amazing as she has never really been enthusiastic about any car previously!). She was involved in an accident two weeks ago involving a motorbike that was attempting to overtake her, he lost control and crashed into the offside rear wing. Much to our amazement we had a call from the repairers to say that the car had suffered distortion of the bodyshell and had been written off! (Motorcyclist is fine by the way, despite wearing no gloves or leathers and riding a Triumph 955. He escaped with only severely grazed arms and hands, a miracle really considering the bike and car were both beyond help!)

a3.jpg

We've ordered the replacement, albeit not our original choice of spec. We didn't fancy the 6 month wait for a factory order so chose one already in stock in the UK. It's a A3 2.0 TDi 170 Black Edition with S tronic in Ibis white. I am really looking forward to it as it should be a lot more lively than my A4 Cab or Nichola's old 1.6TDi!!!

Will be considering some kind of tuning, having been a Seat and Audi driver over the past 10 years I really fancied some of the good work carried out by Revo Technik, but I worry about the ECU Flash value being picked up by the dealer. The obvious alternative is a tuning box, had one on my Saab 9-3 which worked well, but the auto gearbox gave up the ghost after 56k miles. I am a little worried about the S tronic box, can they take the extra torque of tuning products? I am sure the question has been asked before so am looking forward to doing some reading. Got a pretty nice spec on the new A3 already so will be looking for a few subtle additions, perhaps a video input for the RNS-E but I assume it will mean losing the AMI which seems a shame.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to all, I'll post some pictures of the new motor when we get it in a couple of weeks, and I'll dig some out of the old A3 and my A4 Cab too!

well forst welcome to the club mate hope you enjoy your stay secondly thank god no one was seriously hurt in the accident im always nervous when bikers are over taking me as ive seen a bike lose it before not nice to see , third not as much damage as i would have thought look in one piece nearly lol goes to show audi's build quality i mean obviously there was some serious damage otherwise they wouldnt have writen it off but it look to have taken it quite well to be fair

hiya and welcome. Sad about the car but at least no one was hurt. The S Tronic box can easily take the extra power you would get but even they can be tweeked to take more but doubt you would need to. Also doubt the dealers would pick up a Revo, ours never did. We have tried both tuning box and remap and would always go remap, but thats just what we prefer. What other mods have you planned?? Enjoy the car when it arrives.