Just got my A3 3.2 Quattro DSG so "hello" to everyone!

khyberpass

Reaction score
Got my red a3 quattro 3 days ago..and really enjoying it. 59k on the clock, so only just bedding in :)

A little different to the other cars on my drive...

1. a 56 plate (new shape) 2.9 Kia Sedona LS auto - 60k on clock
2. an 05 plate citroen c2 vtr sensodrive - 62k on the clock
3. an 08 plate merc c220cdi sports auto - 92k on the clock (my daily business car!)

Not sure what I am going to do with the audi yet. It's in really good nick, so apart from a remap, and tinted windows, and possibly a little bit of body wrap ( plus possibly getting upgraded front lights with daytime running spec), it may stay "standard"....

I've had high BHP cars (rx7 at over 400bhp being the beast), but at 6sec 0-60 and 155 mph top speed, there's no real reason to put a charger on the 3.2!!!:tapedshut:

Hopefully very few problems, and plenty of enjoyable driving to be had with my new baby in the coming months..look forward to chatting to, and meeting you in the future; especially from fellow 3.2 owners, who can tell me all about their quirks:hubbahubba:

Steve

Congrats on the new car Steve, I'm on my second 3.2 dsg!. A lot of people bash the 3.2 as being too thirsty and nose heavy, but they just don't get it.
Mated to the dsg box, it's simply a peach to drive. It's very relaxing to drive around town as you never need to go above 2k rpm but get it out on the open road at full throttle and the push in the back is relentless up to silly speeds!
The main thing to watch out for is the dreaded timing chain issue that some cars have had problems with. It's not all cars that have been affected, but some have had a stretching of the timing chain which although none seem to have snapped, have caused running problems. There is also a little known software update from Audi (even dealers down seem to know about it lol!) that cures a slight hesitation problem up to 2k rpm, you could do with checking this out to see if your car needs it
Other than that just enjoy it!

Julian

Cheers Julian for the greeting and the info..

will follow up on both...the only thing i have noticed is a slight "snake shake" when initially accelerating at higher speeds (its not noticeable in any bursts of acceleration below 60 mph)...it vanishes if you slightly lift off and then re accelerate, and it is nothing to write home about...but its noticeable when in comparison to the otherwise extremely smooth drive upwards to 130mph+ :) ...

never felt it before in a car, so wondered if it was a quattro characteristic...?

Steve

Can't say I've noticed that in any of my A3's tbh, I have a slight vibration around 70, but that's due to one of my BBS's being slightly out of true.
Sounds like it could be a tricky one to find?

That was my worry Julian! Not major if it doesnt get worse...

Cheers Chris....very nice beauty you have there too!

Hi Steve,

Well another 3.2 owner and as said above just the 2 issues mentioned. I had the hesitation sorted and now runs smooth as silk. The snake shake you mentioned could be what mine had. I had the same which got progressively worse, turned out to be the inner cv joint that had worn unbelieveably and had no grease in the joint, had the drivers side done, its back into have the other done tommorrow but was huge improvement after first one was done. Maybe yours is the same, check out to see if you have any play.

Other than that its a superb car to drive and the DSG is second to non. Done a few bits to mine and love it so much im taking it to Oz with me!

So enjoy...... v6 burble all the way!

Last edited:
thanks Sarah

sorry to hear that you are leaving for Oz, but I really appreciate the advice (permanent move I guess?). Will take a look tomorrow to see if there is any play. You must really really love your car, if you are taking it half way around the world!!! True love :)

I know what you mean about the v6 sound...ive had v8 jags in the past and I really love the growl the big engines give...the little engine turbos just dont touch it (although the rx7 had a great sound :) )

thanks again for the advice

Steve

Yes it will be permanent but if we are back visiting, I'm sure we will catch up with folk and drop into some shows. I will still be on ASN as its a really great site and ive made a lot of good friends, just the time difference lol Yes its true love, I did the S3 front end conversion so put alot of time and effort in so that coupled with the spec makes me want to keep for a long while.

Agree about the turbo'd engines, although good engines (before some shout at me lol) I do love the thrust and sound from the V6. Nearly got the 4.2 V8 in an A6 but more than happy with mine!

thanks for the welcome Lee...

Sarah / Julian - based on both of your advice, getting a local independant VAG fella to get me a print off of my car software, etc - so I can see if this update was due...and will have the CV joints checked out as well - now that I am reading, it seems like software updates, chain, drive shafts, and cv joints are the usual suspects!

any recommendations on discs /pads - although mine are deemed as good; I dont feel this car is as "stop on a button" as a couple of other 3.2 quattros I had driven - perhaps they were using upgraded discs/ pads, so wondered what you recommend?

thanks

Hi, just joined forum myself and saw your post. Had my 54 plate 3.2 for two years and had first problems recently. Suffered the common washer / wiper / alarm issues and sorted it out. tried to start car and nothing. Not even a click from under the bonnet. Lights battery etc fine though. AA got car started (hotwired !) but couldn't move shifter out of 'PARK'. (If you're not DSG you can stop reading now.) followed the instructions in the owners manual for emergency shifter release but although the shifter moved through the S-D-N-R range it wouldn't actually engage gears. Was towed to dealers (25miles at 30mph due to quattro) who quickly found the problem. A dodgy wire in the gearbox meant the car didn't recognise that it was actually in 'P' and the interlock wouldn't let it start. As if trying to start while shifter was in drive. A small and relatively cheap fix but irratating to me and the AA patrol man. Don't know how common a fault it is but worth remembering.
cheers and good luck with the car.
mick.

thanks Mick for that info... sounds a crazy one! had something v similar happen to my partners C2 sensodrive...

well I had my car checked out by the independent VAG garage...and the judder and reasonable but not red hot braking may be a mix of things according to them, but not cv joints...
1. a slightly buckled rear alloy
2. worn bushes (needs arms and bushes replaced soon)
3. front tyres are not a well known make....
4. front discs (heavily worn with v. new pads on) and rear pads (only 2mm with borderline discs)

to be fair; the garage I bought it off have said for me to get the cost of "making good" and they will either just pay at my end, or have it done at their end....

Also had diagnostics done, and my software is ancient (5604)...
022906032 CB with a BDB coding - which I think means I need to be updated to 8088 software.

I have booked in my car for this wednesday for the software update (which they seemed a little cloudy ; but extremely helpful about). They are also going to give it a health check and replace coilpacks....nice service :) Mercedes are always good service, and my local Shrewsbury Audi seem to be on a par so far....

Therefore all being made good :)

thanks Mick for that info... sounds a crazy one! had something v similar happen to my partners C2 sensodrive...

well I had my car checked out by the independent VAG garage...and the judder and reasonable but not red hot braking may be a mix of things according to them, but not cv joints...
1. a slightly buckled rear alloy
2. worn bushes (needs arms and bushes replaced soon)
3. front tyres are not a well known make....
4. front discs (heavily worn with v. new pads on) and rear pads (only 2mm with borderline discs)

to be fair; the garage I bought it off have said for me to get the cost of "making good" and they will either just pay at my end, or have it done at their end....

Also had diagnostics done, and my software is ancient (5604)...
022906032 CB with a BDB coding - which I think means I need to be updated to 8088 software.

I have booked in my car for this wednesday for the software update (which they seemed a little cloudy ; but extremely helpful about). They are also going to give it a health check and replace coilpacks....nice service :) Mercedes are always good service, and my local Shrewsbury Audi seem to be on a par so far....

Therefore all being made good :)

Last edited: