How to remove the A pillar in the new mrk 6 golf ?

john24susan

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if anyone knows how to remove the inner A pillar at the front window on the new mark 6 golf and will it be safe as there is an airbag within this pillar, If I switch off the air bag system in the glove compartment will this let me remove this without the deployment of the airbag?
I am fitting a power supply from the fusebox at the side of the dash and am going to run a cable from the fuse box up the piller and through the small vent grill to feed a Garmin satnav which will be fitted to the windscreen at the right hand side of the screen next to the vent, This will keep the cable consealed and tidy as I hate the plugin type socket in the ashtray .
Hope someone can help. p.s. Any views on the hard wiring from the fusebox ?
Many Thanks John .
:icon_thumright:

Not done a new golf, but i recently removed the same cover on my new passat. It also has an airbag in the pillar. If you look on the pillar there is an AIRBAG plastic badge, this can be levered off to reveal a screw. remove this screw and the rest of the cover will pull off, working from the top down. As with all trim be very carefull and have patience! It also helps if the car is warm inside (heaters on full for a while before you start). I doubt the key in the glovebox will disable the pillar bag as I belive it only disables the passenger bag for rear facing child seats. Once you have the cover off, remember to run any wires BEHIND the bag, to be sure it works as normal in the event of an accident.

Hi colinra, Many Thanks for your reply to my post, It sounds straight forward, is it clips behind the rest of the A pillar once the screw has been removed and does it go back on ok ? Itake it that the airbag is fixed to the frame of the metal A pillar and not on the A trim.
John