Scirocco R

FWD only? That surprises me! I'm glad though :s3addict:

I paid extra to get quattro on my A3 and I paid the extra to get an S3 over anything else and I have no regrets!

Love the outside, but the interior still looks a bit naff (I find this with all VW's) and FWD is a let down, I dont think I could go without the quattro now

Nice car, but i'll be sticking with the S3

Looks fantastic. Having considered a Scirocco GT for a short period whilst choosing my last car - that looks like exactly what I was after but the GT just let me down.

This only has two things wrong with it in my opinion - firstly the price. By the time you've put a few desirable options on there - Sat nav, Xenons, DSG - you're looking at circa £29k? Hmmm...

Also - lack of 4wd is surprising. 261bhp with a 0-60mph time of 6.odd seconds is frankly disappointing. It's a shame VW have pitched it right up against the RS price wise as if they could have offered a 4wd then I think it may have edged it.

Still - fantastic looking car, but I definitely won't be chopping the S3 in for one. :sm4:

Xenons were standard on the R32 weren't they? they should be on the R20 too.

Just did a bit of a configuration on a 2.0T GT and the extras I would want took it up to £27k. A few of them were things that are standard on the S3, like leather, floor mats and heated washers.

I wouldn't pay that for the R20, let alone the GT!

Xenons were standard on the R32 weren't they? they should be on the R20 too.

Just did a bit of a configuration on a 2.0T GT and the extras I would want took it up to £27k. A few of them were things that are standard on the S3, like leather, floor mats and heated washers.

I wouldn't pay that for the R20, let alone the GT!

Fair point actually about the Xenons - they should be standard on the R20. :sm4:

Can we stop calling it the R20 please, its title is the Scirocco R. :icon_thumright:

FWD is a bit pants though. Almost as bad as the fact we don't get any Sciroccos in Australia at all.

There's a bunch of information on AUSmotive about the car. :beerchug:

The interiors on these Scirocco's are bad quality, for the money they are you would expect much better.

The interiors on these Scirocco's are bad quality, for the money they are you would expect much better.

I'm not sure I agree entirely - on the whole I was quite impressed with the GT that I test drove.

The seats were terrible though.

I'd still go for the S3 if I was in the market for that sort of thing.

I dont like the looks of the Scirocco. The interior is nice but not as good as the S3. S3 has 4WD. The S3 doesn't cost that much more either.

I'd rather have the MK6 GTI over it too. Not a fan.

Ive had MK5 Gti with 250bhp, and unless VW have moved game on in a big way, the Rocco R will be a right handful in the wet and and even in the dry unless the wheels pointing straight ahead.
Fun sometimes, frustrating the rest.

Ok you can limit torque/bhp in the low gears, but personally I dont want `part time power`, thats a cop out IMO, I want it full time with traction to match.
My preference of course.

I think it looks great though, and could easily live with the trim assuming its slightly better than a Mk5 which i found very agreeable. Not as good as an S3, but it never will be, still good, and much better than its peers.

Give us a 4WD version, make it a bit cheaper than an S3, and would have one without a doubt (In white with REVO of course)

Cheers
Paul

Can we stop calling it the R20 please, its title is the Scirocco R. :icon_thumright:

Are you sure? R20 indicates a replacement for the Golf R32 of course but then will they still make a replacement for the R32 when they have this? Would they really want to have 3 VW hot hatch models using a 2.0T (GTI, R20, Scirocco R)?

I think they will have the GTI at the top of the Golf line and then this as the super VW hatch and it be called the R20 to echo its indirect replacement.

And then the RS3......!

Are you sure? R20 indicates a replacement for the Golf R32 of course but then will they still make a replacement for the R32 when they have this? Would they really want to have 3 VW hot hatch models using a 2.0T (GTI, R20, Scirocco R)?

I think they will have the GTI at the top of the Golf line and then this as the super VW hatch and it be called the R20 to echo its indirect replacement.

And then the RS3......!

Yep, it's called the 'rocco R NOT the R20
Quote from Car Magazing website:
"Volkswagen has issued the first official details of the new Scirocco R. We've been scooping it as the anticipated Scirroco R20T – and while our technical information was spot-on, the name has been changed at the last minute we're informed. So it's farewell R20T (and, presumably, R32 and R36 elsewhere in VW's range) and hello R.

It seems likely that all future hot VWs will be badged simply R and ditch the numerals. Which neatly avoids highlighting that the industry is downsizing frantically, as well as simplifying the range of go-faster Volkswagens produced by Wolfsburg's Individual department "

New R badge

4VWSciroccoRfirstpicture.jpg

Interesting comment about the Golf...
Maybe the Golf R will be AWD to distance it from the 'rocco R???

RS3.... yep, that is the one for me!

Nice looking car in the pictures and I do like the wheels, I think the interior looks good too but I'm not sure about the door armrest. Would like to see one in the flesh though.

Two wheel drive musn't work too well with this power as the 0-60 is over six seconds

I'd stay with the S3

The interior is a let down yeah but I really do love the look of the exterior! Especially this pic:
1351427-L.jpg

I bet those wheels are optional extras though.

Why are u complaining about the interior ? I love 'rocco's interior.. It just fits and completes its exterior..
Regarding The FWD, it's typical of a 2.0T engine ..
And speaking about the " R " line. The scirocco R is never a replacement for the Golf R32. Remember that R32 is a V6 AWD, and I've heard more than once that it will be in market again in 2011 (2012?) with an R36 engine..

I really like it. It looks fast too! but for a daily driver the 260 at the front wheels might be a handful, but then itd probally be dull like the quattros if it was awd.