Golf v Clio

stoakseya4

Reaction score
OK, so a Mk5 GTI vs a Clio 197 F1 ?

What would you have?
It's intended as a run-around with the occasional track day too.

I appreciate a golf comes with a 5-door option, and as well as being a turbo, can be re-mapped up to c285bhp with a Milltek/induction ket etc (Revo).

The clio is only a 3-door, and being a n/a engine has limited tuning possibilities. A remap, exhaust, induction kit will take it to c230bhp...

Comments ?

I personally wouldnt touch a Renault if it was out of warranty

OK, so a Mk5 GTI vs a Clio 197 F1 ?

What would you have?
It's intended as a run-around with the occasional track day too.

I appreciate a golf comes with a 5-door option, and as well as being a turbo, can be re-mapped up to c285bhp with a Milltek/induction ket etc (Revo).

The clio is only a 3-door, and being a n/a engine has limited tuning possibilities. A remap, exhaust, induction kit will take it to c230bhp...

Comments ?

Hiya mate, Cliosports NEVER put out the book BHP , a 197 will be more like 190 , Renault N/A engaines are really hard to tune!

A remap , zorst , and induction kit will give you 210bhp MAX to get 230bhp you'll need all of the above and a set of cams! which all in will be 2.5-3k.

I had the 182 version , there hard work to tune. i'd go with the Golf or just get a 172 cup for 5k and leave it std , a std cup would wipe the floor with a 197!

p

Two completely different cars imo, the golf is also to nice to be taking on the track.

My brother had a 197 after a CTR and the engine was a let down, quite torquey but just didnt feel quick. The handling and braking is where the 197 comes into its own, i have not driven a modern FWD that grips and brakes so well even in the wet. A good choice for a track car but not got the class of the golf, also the earlier models had a very short 6th gear meaning for motorway crusing they were noisey.

Phase 1 172 and a slightly older golf would be my choice, a decent phase 1 can be had for £3k.

Golf everytime i would say...

Early Cio 172 Cup gets my vote. Friend of mine got one for his wife and then spent more tim eplaying with it than his own Impreza as he said it was more fun. They're also cheap enough that if you bend it you won't cry.