Gearbox Conversion

ExBXE

Reaction score
So far the BKC transplant into our 2008 Leon 1.9 TDi is holding up well 400 miles in. I have since been thinking about the possibility of fitting a higher ratio gearbox for better economy/more relaxed cruising in place of the standard 5 speed. I read somewhere about fitting a 6 speed gearbox which also requires different driveshafts, selector, possibly clutch and flywheel? The only thing which can be left are the selector cables apparently.
Having driven a 2008 Audi A3E 1.9 TDi 5 speed not too long ago, I noticed most of the ratios were quite a bit higher than our Seats, I think 5th gear gave about 70mph at 2000 rpm. Ours is doing around 2350rpm at 70mph. So now I'm thinking about how to find an Audi E, Golf Bluemotion or Leon Ecomotive 5 speed gearbox which should be easier and cheaper to fit than a 6 speed.
My first question is, has anyone done this before? And my second question is doe anyone know the gearbox codes for these type of ratios? I'd hate to buy the wrong 'box.
Looking on eBay so far hasn't uncovered any specific 'economy' 5 speed 'boxes, so the codes would be really useful.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Hi Chris

Thanks for that. I'll have a trawl through eBay for one. What year is your A3?

March 09 build, MY2009. BLS engine code.