Skoda Octavia ECU problem, help and advice v much needed :)

kazP

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
the forum was recommended by Graham on Southampton Bikers page, facebook as a really helpful place to ask questions!
We have a Skoda Octavia 02 plate that developed an ECU problem last night....engine light on dash started flashing and is now on permanently. Handbook says this is problem with the exhaust system/electrical fault and needs to go to a dealer asap, still runs but feels like it's running on 3 cylinders and is chucking out unburnt fuel. Limited power so keeping it slow and trying to use it as least as possible. A friend has suggested the 02/lambda sensor might be responsible?
We are seriously short of funds at the mo and a garage visit could run into hundreds that we haven't got....if anyone has got any helpful suggestions, I'd be really really grateful !
Thank you and look forward to any replies :)

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. I will move your thread down to another part of the forum that may be mosre useful to you for info. Enjoy the forum. :) x

What engine is it, I assume petrol by the remark about the Lambda sensor.
You really need to do some diagnostics otherwise you will be making your life a lot harder and potentially more expensive.
If you have access to an android phone you could download Torque which only costs £3 for the full version or free for the lite version.
This will allow you to read and clear codes as well as see live data on the engine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en_GB

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB

You need a bluetooth dongle to plug in the car,

Super Mini ELM327 v1.5 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Adapter Auto Scanner Blue UK | eBay

This can be used in 90% of the cars on the road today so useful for other cars too.

Or a VAG-COM lead as your car is a 2002 , if you have access to a laptop.This will allow you to alk to all the modules in the car.

VAG KKL USB/COM OBD 2 Diagnostic Cable for AUDI / VW / Skoda / Seat OBDII EOBD | eBay

download free software from ross tech

Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download

Karl.