Guck under the oil filler cap

darrenp

Reaction score
Just noticed this yesterday on my wifes 1999 1.4 Golf. There is cream coloured guck under the oil filler cap. I have read conflicting storys, one being the head gasket going, the other being that this guck is just condensation from the oil then hasnt burned off due to short journeys and cold weather.

We are in the midlands of Ireland which can be quite frosty compared to the rest of the country and the car only does a couple of miles a day.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? and what I can do about.

Thanks
Darren

Couple of miles a day explains it, I would say it is down to condensation due to the fact that the engine has not reached temperature.

well thats good to hear, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Take the car for a long ride, say 2 - 3 hours (dual carriageways are good) When you return home let engine cool a little then check oil cap again. If it is still gunky then the problem maybe a wee tad more serious than condensation.

If the car is not using any more water than usual, then yeah its probably just down to the short journeys.

If you find that you have to keep topping it up with water then its probably the head gasket.