Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    Fire up the Quattro!

Status

VW Sharan 110bhp Timing belt & Water pump

Hi,

A friend has had a quote from a garage to do the above work. They have quoted:

Timing belt £77
    Fitting £168

Water pump £55
    Fitting £105

(All inc vat)

My question is (I do not know anything about the 1.9 engines) the two labour charges. I'm under the impression that the water pump is within the timing belt covers so therefore no need for suck a hike just to remove and refit the pump?

Or is the WP located elsewhere on the engine, which could then justify the extra labour charge. He has emailed the garage back and awaiting a response.

I don't have his exact engine code to hand, other than its a 1999 Vw Sharan Auto, 1.9tdi 110bhp.

Cheers,

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    The water pump does not run off the cambelt but it's on a separate belt and pulley. The labour charges are rather high, expect to pay about 250 quid supply and fit for full cambelt and water pump if done at the same time...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Cheers Chris, I will let him know.

The same garage is fitting my timing belt on my 2.5 next month for £197 inc vat just for the labour. I've purchased the kit myself from Audi at a price of just a nickle under £250.

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

6th Gear

Status
    I do hope for your sake that the garage knows what they are doing and they have done a few in the past. For starters the timing belt on old AFN is very, very easy job to do compared with the v6 tdi... Also make sure they use locking tools and pull the sprockets off the cams when the tension is applied to the belt ! Very easy job to screw up if not experienced especially if they use tipex to mark the cams, take my advice and run a mile !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Hi, I do have faith in them. North Yorkshire police have all their cars serviced by the said garage too. I've seen the police engines stripped right back ready for rebuilding. So i'm comfortable with them doing my work.

Cheers,

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro