Reaction score
Hi,

A friend has had a quote from a garage to do the above work. They have quoted:

Timing belt £77
Fitting £168

Water pump £55
Fitting £105

(All inc vat)

My question is (I do not know anything about the 1.9 engines) the two labour charges. I'm under the impression that the water pump is within the timing belt covers so therefore no need for suck a hike just to remove and refit the pump?

Or is the WP located elsewhere on the engine, which could then justify the extra labour charge. He has emailed the garage back and awaiting a response.

I don't have his exact engine code to hand, other than its a 1999 Vw Sharan Auto, 1.9tdi 110bhp.

Cheers,

Dan

The water pump does not run off the cambelt but it's on a separate belt and pulley. The labour charges are rather high, expect to pay about 250 quid supply and fit for full cambelt and water pump if done at the same time...

Cheers Chris, I will let him know.

The same garage is fitting my timing belt on my 2.5 next month for £197 inc vat just for the labour. I've purchased the kit myself from Audi at a price of just a nickle under £250.

Dan

I do hope for your sake that the garage knows what they are doing and they have done a few in the past. For starters the timing belt on old AFN is very, very easy job to do compared with the v6 tdi... Also make sure they use locking tools and pull the sprockets off the cams when the tension is applied to the belt ! Very easy job to screw up if not experienced especially if they use tipex to mark the cams, take my advice and run a mile !

Hi, I do have faith in them. North Yorkshire police have all their cars serviced by the said garage too. I've seen the police engines stripped right back ready for rebuilding. So i'm comfortable with them doing my work.

Cheers,

Dan