New toy/project (PICTURE HEAVY!)

Steven.c

Auto-Motive Restored Deatail
Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently picked up a new car as a bit of a project to tidy up and hopefully have as a show car.
I got it at a very good price with 6 months tax 12 months mot & a whole load of history to go with it.

It is a P reg 1996 Golf mk3 gti 2.0 8v in dragon green, It has been looked after fairly well and just needs a few cosmetic parts to finish it off before the modding bug kicks in.

The car is currently sat at 114k which is lower than my A3 1.8t which is at 122K.

It has a aftermarket exhaust which i believe to be either Remus or sebring but havent really had a good look at it yet, It is also sat on a full set of Weitek suspension but i believe the back to only be adjustable by taking the strut off and moving the spring cup adjuster.

Plans for the car are as follows;
Coilovers as the weitek just dont go low enough for my liking
Banded steelies or a set of split rims
Tango'd indicators in the bumper for the american look
rear lights off a Golf CL as there all red
maybe look at either getting a set of colour concept leather interior or saving up for a retrim on the whole inside
Cleaning the engine bay up alot with a new powercoated rocker cover, hose kit and loads of shiney and/or carbon parts.

Anyway enough here is some pictures of when i got it.

Put on a matching keyring ;)

Cheers,
steve

Last edited:
While the car has been sat on my drive i have been detailing it and putting it back to good condition in my free time.

Quick write up of my detailing process.

Started off with the nitty gritty on the inside as i take alot of pride in the appearance of my cars inside and out.

Before i started

Pre-soaked the interior with Autosmark brisk and extracted with a Numatic George Wet and dry vac until the seats were nice and fresh. There was a few bad parks which were paint & chewing gum like the picture below.

Some attention to detail with a cotton bud & some tooth picks

All carpets vacuumed, Interior dusted & protected.
Could do with another hit at the seats but for a quick attempt as i had very little time the results are great.

After pictures

Once the inside was done, I set about doing the outside.

Before;

The name of the car is as pictured ;) kermit!

Method;
Pre rinse with a mixture of dodojuice basics of bling with hot water in a solution bottle.
Two bucket method with 3 wash mitts, Sheepskin & two microfibre noodle - One for wheels one for lower half of the car.
Rinse down then dried with a cyc huge fluffy drying towel

Then onto the wheels,
Pre rinse
Bilberry agitated with various wheel brushs & detail brushs
rinsed off then washed with a wash mitt.
Dried off then tyres dressed.

Final touch's

Chemical guys wet look trim gel on all the trims to restore them back to black and not the faded white/grey plastic, the spoiler still needs replacing as it is far beyond repair.
#0000 grade wire wool with autosol to clean up the exhaust

(Still have yet to decontaminate the car with tardis, clay the car machine polish then seal & wax)

Here are the after pictures, not bad for a car made in 1996 and hasn't been waxed or decontaminated i think ever!

Thanks for reading!
Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottD3
Cheers guys, have alot of plans for this which has put my Audi on hold lol..
thinking of going a euro/stanced look which i know everyone does but im trying to turn it into a USA type spec GTI with the tango lights ect.

Hopefully come across a Vento front end but there hard to come by