My Polo 16V

macpdm

Reaction score
So we realised we cant survive on one vehicle so the search was on to find another car to join the Audi. Of course being me it had to come from the VAG stable and so I found this a 1999 Polo 1.4 16V which seem quite rare around here. Its got 58,000mls with 4 virtually new tyres a 12mth ticket and a tidy interior. There is a little bit of corrosion here and there but nothing really serious just needs a little tidying here and there. So since owning it and on cold mornings I can hear a rattle from the gearbox which disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I note the clutch pedal is stiff to push down not really tough but stiffer than it should be.

When accelerating & decelerating through the gears I note there is a gravelly sound which at first I thought was a blowing inlet manifold. Its not loud you cant hear it when cruising at speed and the gearchange is totally fine but I wonder if its the first signs of the gearbox giving up ?

So with cambelt needing replacement we are starting to look at around £900 before I start into replacing worn suspension bushes etc. I am wondering if its worth me throwing this kind of cash at it bearing in mind it cost me less than a grand ?

The engine is very willing and full of life though and I can imagine with all the work done it would be superb especially as that little 16v unit thinks its at least a 1.8. So would you throw money at it ?

8510625246_abef57772c_c.jpg

8541722351_f35325e0ec_c.jpg

8541723671_613e4bdc77_z.jpg

Very nice mate I had one of these, great cars mine was identical to this when I got it. Ended up spending a fortune on it modding it. It ended up with a magazine feature. Great little cars not the best on fuel but hey. Good find enjoy it mate

The rattle will be the clutch release bearing most probably nothing too worry about too much tbh.

Thanks dan yeah I was thinking CRB also the stiff clutch pedal could be clutch cable. I suppose I could buy something else and end up spending loads on that too ?

Thanks dan yeah I was thinking CRB also the stiff clutch pedal could be clutch cable. I suppose I could buy something else and end up spending loads on that too ?
correct, great cars and if you keep on top of it you will probably end up getting what you paid for it as they are getting rare now the valvers. :)