Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    Ken
    Reverse Gear

Status

Expected lifespan of front discs

Hello.

I've been advised to replace my front discs in my 99 B5 Passat (2.8). I do not have any brake warning lights on. How many kms do you think they should be good for (before needing replacement). This car has only used standard brake pads.

Background : I was down at the mechanics about 6 months ago, and he mumbled something about the front discs appearing "thin" and the brake warning light would be coming on very soon. He is a friend of a friend, and I have been a customer for some years. I was surprised at his comments, and basically said, I'll get them replaced when the warning lights come on. I've probably only done a couple of thousand kms since then, and still no warning light. I now need to go visit the mechanic to get this years registration done... :-)

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Expected lifespan of front discs

Nowadays if you get 3 sets of pads to 1 pair of discs on the front you are doin ok, but very difficult to put a mileage on them coz some people are harder on the brakes than others.

Ken
    Reverse Gear

Status

Re: Expected lifespan of front discs

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about it from a pads vs discs perspective. I guess I haven't kept my cars long enough to change that many pads.

This car has done just under 50,000kms - not sure how many sets of pads it has been through, as I bought it with about 33,000kms on the clock. It does not do much "spirited" driving as we have a 2 little ones under 3 years in the back.