MOT Failed on Emissions

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1994 Golf Mk3, which has served me well since I bought it in 1998, except for one recurring problem. Nearly every year it seems to fail its MOT on the emissions test. So far I've had lambda sensors replaced and even a whole new catalytic converter, at a cost of hundreds.

After the cat was fitted about 3-4 years ago, the C02 emissions dropped from the failed level, to 0.00, which was great, I thouight all the problems would be solved. However, a couple of years on it started to get dangerously close to the limit again (0.30 is it?), and failed the first test and just scraped through on the second.

The car doesn't get used very much anymore as it's now a second car, so I figured giving it a good thrashing before taking it in for it's MOT might be a good idea last year. So I took it for a good drive immediately before dropping it off, and amazingly it passed.

The time of year comes around again, so I thought I'd do the same thing this year. It's only done 1,200 miles since the last MOT, so I figured it might be alright. However it spectacularly failed on emissions yet again, and was way over the limits. Mechanic couldn't tell me what the problem it was until he'd had a proper check over everything, so it's booked in again for Friday.

He said using some sort of engine cleaner to flush the system through might just do it, as I said there was no point spending much due to the age and mileage (120,000+) of the car.

Anyone know what the cause of the recurring problem could be, or anything I can do to resolve it? Could it be linked to the small amount of use it gets, or is it just a fault with the car?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Usually it's the Cat being cold, but you said you gave it a good thrashing before hand, so no ideas bud. always drive for at least 10minutes before going for an MOT to make sure the cats get upto temps.

Thanks for your reply jojo.

Anyone else got any ideas, or had any similar experiences?

Mike

could be anything really. Engine flush would be a good place to start to try and unblock any dodgy injectors. Has it been burning any oil recently? have you tried replacing the coolant thermostat? what model golf is it?

just a few random thoughts...

Go On (Dare I say this??) "QVC" and look for a product called Asta3000 its three little bottles two in the fuel one in the engine, and really drive the car for a bit, needs to be around 600miles or so, then change the oil & filter , at the same time buy some carb cleaner (from Halfords) and seperate the MAF from the air ducting , spray in and clean, then clean out the idle stablisation valve using the carb cleaner and lubricate the door using 3in1 oil, making sure the door shuts smoothly and all the carbon is off the door. Then drive...

Try that and see how you go... it should bring down your emissions .....and just repeat as necessary.. what your doing by not using the car is carbonising the head more and increasing the emissions by only using the car on short hops rather than regular driving....

Incidentally, QVC is available on line......Not! that I've used it ....(Yeah right, I'm taking the 5th on this one..)