Failed MOT on emissions

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
Hi there guys......my friends car failed its MOT on emissions and he has a retest next week. The mechanic who did the test reckoned if i took the fuel head (i think) off and clean it. It would help. Also to put something in the engine to help clean it out (he didn't suggest what).
The car has been kept in storage for 6 months and has hardly been driven since. Would giving it a good run help at all?

Any other suggestions?

Thankyou

Here are the readings:

IMG_1752.jpg

oil change and a clean of the pcv system wouldn't go a miss and then some fresh fuel, maybe with a cleaner or octane booster, then thrash the crap out of it before re taking it

Hi there guys......my friends car failed its MOT on emissions and he has a retest next week. The mechanic who did the test reckoned if i took the fuel head (i think) off and clean it. It would help. Also to put something in the engine to help clean it out (he didn't suggest what).
The car has been kept in storage for 6 months and has hardly been driven since. Would giving it a good run help at all?

Any other suggestions?

Thankyou

Here are the readings:

IMG_1752.jpg

About 5 years ago I had a car fail, the mechanic told me to go and put a forte fuel treatment in with a full tank of shell optimax and go drive that tank of fuel out, took it back And it passed!

Worth a try....... Forte engine treatment yellow one and 50 litres of optimax. Free retest within 7 days.

Hope this helps

Mine did a similar thing last week. So co2 is way high and lambda is very low ie rich , which will throw co2 out. I'd suggest fault lambda sensor and best way to check is to vagcom it and log block 31 this will tell you what the ecu is seeing. Also co2 could be high as the rich fuel has clogged the cat assuming it had one. It may need a stinking good drive to burn it all off 3rd gear high rpm for 10-15mins at least to get cat nice and hot. I don't a bottle of magic liquid will help in this case as your readings are way off! I'd be inclined to swap the lambda if you have one to see how it goes.

Mine did a similar thing last week. So co2 is way high and lambda is very low ie rich , which will throw co2 out. I'd suggest fault lambda sensor and best way to check is to vagcom it and log block 31 this will tell you what the ecu is seeing. Also co2 could be high as the rich fuel has clogged the cat assuming it had one. It may need a stinking good drive to burn it all off 3rd gear high rpm for 10-15mins at least to get cat nice and hot. I don't a bottle of magic liquid will help in this case as your readings are way off! I'd be inclined to swap the lambda if you have one to see how it goes.

The print out suggests its a Mk3 Golf (2ltr GTi as its 1984cc).... non of your block 31 shizzle here... hence why I moved the thread into this part of the forum :)

<tuffty/>

Any other suggestions?

Thankyou

Here are the readings:

IMG_1752.jpg

According to the MOT test manual (online here) the CO test limit for a vehicle first used before 1986 is 4.5% at natural idle. If your car is a 1984 model then it appears as though he's applied the test limits for the wrong year of vehicle as the natural idle test result he's recorded is clearly below the limit, yet marked as a fail.

Or am I missing something?

Indeed it is. I was looking at the engine capacity (1984) and thinking it was the year....

Carry on. :lmfao:

Thanks very much for the info!! a big help!

Sorry tuffty. Habit from posting on s3 thread.

Will Vpower do? with injector cleaner etc or is there a better fuel to use?

Cheers

V-power is the best on the market and Forte is damm good stuff, fill up and go for a drive as already said 3rd with 3-4k rpm for about 15-20 mins and then back to the test station unless you have a faulty sensor it should go through, good luck

my mk4 failed on emissions ,the Garage just put injector cleaner through it and retested it,it passed. They did tell my wife it needed a good service,but i had done it 3 weeks previously with VW parts.

Thanks for that!! Going to sort it out tonight! Fingers crossed it works!

Thanks again to everyone for their info/advice

Had the re-test today.......went through absolutely fine!! Thankyou to everyone for your advice........

Ended up doing:

Oil Change
Oil Filter
Filled Car up with V-power and put Wynns low emissions in
Cleaned Air filter
Took it for a good drive

93/94 would be a late k/early l plate. indeed 95/96 would be late n plate/early p.