Question re Polo

What if you go OVER 1200 miles ?

IE: my dealer can't do the service by next week by then I will have achieved 1500 miles.

Is this Ok

The chap says that he has spoke to the dealer and they have admitted liability for the error, they have said that they will write a letter to say that ANY warranty work will be honoured, would you still run a mile??

My worry would be the re-sale!!

re M3Coupe: that should be no big problem, 300 miles more wouldn't hurt it IMHO, just make sure you don't trash it on the upcoming miles you do.

re Manc: I'd not only want a letter, but some seriously legal confirmation from BMW (don't understand if you'll get a letter from the dealer or BMW on your statement above). if they (BMW) are really up on covering everything under quarantee, it might be wort a closer look. nevertheless, I wouldn't go for it, because
a) as you state: resale
b) let's say the engine blows up 1 month after quarantee expired... BMW would never come up for and neither would they want to investigate WHY the engine blew up

there's lots of other, serviced M3's around, my opinion here that some patience and shopping around might save you some money in future

As part of my work, I'm investigating a dispute involving MOT work that was carried out on a 1989 VW Polo. Whilst the garage was fitting a replacement top shocker mounting bush, it left a splash plate slightly bent.

It told the customer that the reason for is that it had fitted the new bush without removing the steering rack, in order to reduce labour time and the cost of a new rack. It had saved her a lot of money by doing this, but because it was working around the rack, it made it much more fiddly & the splash plate got bent in the process.

My own technical knowledge is not that great, so can any one tell me if this sounds a plausible explanation? For example, if you remove a steering rack to work on other parts, would this mean the rack was no longer ueable, and would need replacing as well, or could it not simply be re-fitted?

Hope someone can help

very rare to remove a steering rack to get to something else, usually the other way round - remove half a dozen other bits to get to the rack !
IIRC you don`t have to remove the rack to replace a top mount, you just `pop` the track rod end, remove the strut, replace the top mount and re-assemble. I`ve never removed a steering rack to replace a top mount on car.
Is this a genuine case ? I`d bet the top mount didn`t need doing anyway, they`re designed to have play in them.
hth