Advice with my leon Cupra please

scotty86d

Reaction score
Evening people on audi sport,
I've had few friends that have been on here for a while, seems like a helpful and genuine place to take a look and hopefully get a bit of help and gain knowledge of the vag brand

I have a 2000 W reg leon cupra 180 hp 20vt which I am loving ownership of besides crap mpg!! About 27-28 of 50-50 town and dual carriage way with only a few bursts of fun

It hasn't been quite as good as it was pull wise when I got it a couple of weeks ago I think althought not totally sure now looknig back. I ran it on v power when I first got it but I just do too many miles to afford it unless people really reckon more mpg is actually likely to be possible. I dont however reckon it's just ive become used to it and shell 95 is totally pants really but im always ready to be corrected-quick addition, I believe I reconnected the egr pump at the front of the engine back up a few days previously. Could this affect things?

I had it put on vag com yesterday and did a data logged drive where the mass aif flow rate was about for example 140 kg/s of air when the chap with the vag com said it should have been higher and recommended a new maf-ive fitted and no difference. It was really flat in 4th 5th and 6th. I know its only 180 hp but Id expect more pull than what it has. It has a fair bit of pull in 1,2 and 3 but not quite maybe as lively as it should be, i only drive one petrol one before deciding to get this one.

No fault codes were present-engine wise and the boost was being generated to the 0.6-0.7 odd bar it should be apparently according to the log
It also flutters a bit on gear changes which I wasn't aware was the norm, I assumed it was pretty silent.

I have a typical mann air filter in there, took it out quickly just to pop up the road and try the gears and it didnt seem to make any difference.
Has anyone any ideas what may be causing it to be flat, is it really likely to be the fuel making that much difference?

also one of the coilpacks had a slightly higher knock value than the other 3, i dont have a clue if in anyway this mayb be linked to slightly poor airflow figures but thought I'd mention it.Does anyone know if my APP engine code could qualify for replacement packs if that was even offered? seat dealer said my reg has had no data attached to it for a recall of any sort

Hopefully it's nothing major but I look forward to peoples thoughts/opinions

Thanks in advance

Scotty

Last edited:
MPG sounds about fair to me. Don't think I got anything with a 3 infront of it very often when I had my Cupra R, and I didn't cane the **** off it.

Whilst I didn't have a Cupar, I did run 2 golf Gtis 1.8t with the AUM lump in them. MPG was pretty much the same. Round town driving I would be lucky to get 23 to the gallon. Even on a run 32 was about average. They really are not the most economical of engines.

Whilst I didn't have a Cupar, I did run 2 golf Gtis 1.8t with the AUM lump in them. MPG was pretty much the same. Round town driving I would be lucky to get 23 to the gallon. Even on a run 32 was about average. They really are not the most economical of engines.

hmmn, my mates a3 1.8t was pretty good on fuel. Will just have to accept it's a bit ****e then I suppose.

The power issue still annoys me however. It seems from the vag com data that it is pulling ignition out when boost is made. Someone suggested high act's caused from either a collapsed cat, exhaust or a boost pipe collapsing maybe.

Is anyone in the know about what these should read? I have the data log on my in an excel sheet so can send it to someone to look at

From your MAF readings assume the engine is consuming and using all the air it works out at roughly 175hp
Did your friend log actual vs requested boost to see you were achieving what the map was asking for?
Being as yours is an earlier engined cupra and over 10 years old i would have a good look at all the piping especially lines from under inlet manifold and the PCV system in general
With regards to your correction factors but on one cylinder, how high was the number?
When i've logged mine its not unusaul to pull upto 3's on a single cylinder, 7's + is very bad
Is it still an OE mapp??

From your MAF readings assume the engine is consuming and using all the air it works out at roughly 175hp
Did your friend log actual vs requested boost to see you were achieving what the map was asking for?
Being as yours is an earlier engined cupra and over 10 years old i would have a good look at all the piping especially lines from under inlet manifold and the PCV system in general
With regards to your correction factors but on one cylinder, how high was the number?
When i've logged mine its not unusaul to pull upto 3's on a single cylinder, 7's + is very bad
Is it still an OE mapp??

Could I email you the log? fairly certain boost asked for and received was similar. Believe it is oe map
And yes it did hit 7s. Is that an indication of a few possible problems??

PVC is that the breather system? Can the egr stuff be rid of and does it cause problems if so?

Last edited:
PCV is posotive crank ventilation so yes breather system
On the log just look at the mbar on requested colomn and see how it compares to the actual column.
Definitely a problem if your hitting 7's
Have you had a search on any seat forums too??

Do you still have original DV fitted?
IF you have, it may be worth checking this aswell
It is the factory one yes. How does one test it, or do you just look for cracks?
I'm getting the throttle body realigned tomorrow and gas check on mot Friday to try and get all the info I can. There is a split breather off the rocker that is quite stiff and I had superglue run along it as a temp repair.

Waiting for my 15 posts on seat Cupra.net before I can post there.

Thanks for responses

Scotty

To vac test DV, remove from car, push diaphragm up from bottom port as far as it will go.
Place your finger over the top small nipple to prevent any air being drawn into and release pressure on diaphragm.
It should now drop a few mm but not all the way if it does the diaphragm has split and allow boost back through to the inlet side of the turbo
There are many replacement breather pipes available to replace any that have split, these do have detrimental effects on the running of the car

To vac test DV, remove from car, push diaphragm up from bottom port as far as it will go.
Place your finger over the top small nipple to prevent any air being drawn into and release pressure on diaphragm.
It should now drop a few mm but not all the way if it does the diaphragm has split and allow boost back through to the inlet side of the turbo
There are many replacement breather pipes available to replace any that have split, these do have detrimental effects on the running of the car
Thanks Ronin, will have a go at that after work, keeping working at the process of elimination

Last edited:
I've acquired a STD recirc valve that seems ok to try out.

The chaps on seat Cupra are keen for it to be the 95 Ron fuel that I'm using as the cause to crap running

it will run better on v-power but it wont run "crap" as such on 95. it just wont have the edge to it.
like any modern car it has active knock control. it'll simply back its self off on 95. 98 ron it'll be able to run up to its optimal fueling and sparking without detination (knock).

as for your problems, can you not post up those logs on vag-com?

Wasn't aware of a vag com forum-very new to vag, for my sins I'm a ford man at heart who flirts with BMW.

Put v power in now but as the previous poster said I always believed/believe that it would take the edge off not make it run rubbish. The recirc valve was useless. Swapped that over and the only benefit seems to be no flutter as of yet. Mot emissions were spot on.

Vag com forum will be my next step with logs.

Also took it on a 60 mile blast last night flat still. Will see how the 98 Ron fuel goes when I'm not crawling along to work.

Anyone any ideas on this secondary air pump and whether it can be removed?

Scotty

Yes SAI can be removed and many do due to the rivets allowing the housing to come apart over time
There is a guide on SCN to remove SAI, valve and N112 i think
Funnily enough the cupra R never came with SAi system.
There does seems to be an underlying problems here, fuel wouldnt make that much difference
Have you logged lambda's (block 031 & 032) to check fueling is correct too

Yes SAI can be removed and many do due to the rivets allowing the housing to come apart over time
There is a guide on SCN to remove SAI, valve and N112 i think
Funnily enough the cupra R never came with SAi system.

Wil get onto that then!!

There does seems to be an underlying problems here, fuel wouldnt make that much difference
Have you logged lambda's (block 031 & 032) to check fueling is correct too

They seemed to be changing, I think 0.7 was a figure at one point though. I will try and paste my logs and see if it was there. Thanks for your help