My Other Toy Golf Gti Mk2 8v

Dsport

Reaction score
Ive just sold my 16v Mk2 and took this red 3 door back in Px, This is the 2nd time Ive had this golf and this time its come back in a sorry state, Just hope he looks after the 16v better.
Anyway the shell is in very good condition with no rust or welding needed so Ive decided to have it as a daily driver and save the miles on my A4. ( well thats what Ive told the wife)
My plan is to get it cleaned up and running properly, get it tested and new rims, and eventually put a Td engine in
here is a pic when it arrived
4780ae64.jpg

9254ad3e.jpg

92ba5e00.jpg

It had no back seat Hemust of thought it was a rally car??
Running problem now sorted was idle stableiser and now tested ;)
Had a beesting areal knocking around in my garage so put it on
41b2e78f.jpg

Run the buffer over it and fitted some wheel spacers, smoked rear lights, clear side repeaters,
its starting to look like a golf again.
c4942626.jpg

dcbb5b3a.jpg

8de44622.jpg

1f6cdd30.jpg

29baa94a.jpg

697d49b4.jpg

b1f4d4e7.jpg

Decided to take the Golf Back off the road today as its costing too much to run, and it has no Pas so going to whip the engine out and prepare for a Td lump.
Started stripping today
b56cd819.jpg

a155b126.jpg

7696abd8.jpg

dd2c2792.jpg

dc6c8610.jpg

d2eb7f77.jpg

Cant do anything now till My mate comes back off hol so I can borrow his engine lift

Last edited:
Reactions: warren_S5
I have had a ton of cars - and the Golf has never featured...I think I have missed out!
Looks great mate!

I have had a ton of cars - and the Golf has never featured...I think I have missed out!
Looks great mate!

Thanks for the comment Rob Mk2s seem to be up and down at the moment
White and Oak Green seem to hold the money well

This is my old 16V was going to use this but the Red 8v came up cheap.
6e631b32.jpg

This is my Gtd donner car its done 330345 miles :shock: :lol: The engine and box are sweat as a nut Ive been running round in it for a month now and its never missed a beat, There is also a massive service file as well and its had oil and filters done every 4k. Going to start stripping it today, My main issue is room Im going to have to strip the rear end back to the bulkhead the cut the front end off so I can get it in the garage, as my 8v is round the back of my house on the patio.
wish I had a big garage right now.
Here is some pics of the Gtd
4503c057.jpg

c9d11198.jpg

ac203685.jpg

Im going to do the spare bonnet in carbon wrapp with a vent just above the intercooler
All comments welcome

UPDATE.
took a few days off work to get cracked on, and managed to get hold of my mates engine lift
The Gtd put up a but of a fight when stripping, but the 8v wasnt a problem, but this maybe due to having a recent recon box
When I went to sleep last night all I could see was wires, Im rewiring from front to back then I know where I am,
Here are some pics to put you on

bb592ade.jpg

148584cd.jpg

edc801da.jpg

03db3718.jpg

Engine ready to to come out of the Gtd
0b284fd2.jpg

Ready for the engine to go back in Gti
ef1302ab.jpg

3a61f70d.jpg

0af40954.jpg

9dc6ddf0.jpg

c1d90d93.jpg

Still got Exhaust, intercooler, fuel tank, and dash/wiring to tackle

Last day now I took a weeks holiday, I set myself 3 days to complete this from start to finish and Im almost there, One of my mates popped round the night before last and asked for a look whilst looking he spun the electric fan and it was KAPUT so that was my first job,
I fitted the Gti fan and it went stright over the Gtd Rad, but the plug was different, so I had to change to the Gti wiring, the fan switch in the rad also had a different plug so out come the Gti fan switch, at least its working now.
Whilst talking to him we got on about the exhaust I was going to use the one off the Gtd but he said the bore on the Stainless exhaust will help it breath better, I just dont like the Dtm style tip, anyway It wfitted stright on to the GTd s down pipe, all the electrics were easy as Id marked all the loose ones and the Blocks will only go imto the fuse box one way.
Here are some progress pics >>>
4930e10d.jpg

e15c0cb8.jpg

6869607f.jpg

No more Gti Pump
9e497b80.jpg

Exhaust
0ef2ec2c.jpg

80af48fe.jpg

2a7359f5.jpg

e2dec491.jpg

2468f647.jpg

e86475e5.jpg

c8d98cbc.jpg

Here is a Vid of start up
Golf mk2 GTD first time start up - YouTube
Just a few ods and sends to do now
All comments welcome

UPDATE:
More door stripped and gone, "Take my car back" a govement sceme webside gave me £155 just for the shell, well worth a look and they collected easy.
918ebb49.jpg

2b316eb9.jpg

R.I.P. moredoor
Managed to get a Full GTi carpet inc boot sides as mine has glue all over it, also got some Momo pedals and wheel,
It goes really well and revs better with the stainless exhaust, can even hear the turbo spooling, Im not struck on the 17s so they are off and replaced with 15" lenso that are Et20,
Boot,
17cbc8ca.jpg

6d1675d7.jpg

84fe89eb.jpg

Old carpet
7bf7f136.jpg

6e8e011d.jpg

9d70cbce.jpg

14bb2479.jpg

04498181.jpg

Old 17"s
b91a85a3.jpg

Gtd Badge and Lenso,s
448d74e3.jpg

e242ea1b.jpg

1326e7bc.jpg

ec66bc7b.jpg

Im not keen on the Lenso s so will be changing them
All comments welcome

a really nice mk2...mk2 for me is kinda "retro"

my parents had that car before i was born...i never have seen some pictures :-(

Bit of an update I managed to get hold of a set of BBS wheels this weekend with the 24mm offset, They are black with a polished rim I did want all silver but at the moment they will do black, I had some 195/45/15 falcons sat around so popped them on, Im wanting as much poke as possible and have a set of 16mm and a set of 20mm spacers, Did think that running Et 4 with the 20mm would be too much but they are on, The tyres do catch the arch at the moment but will be rolling the arches when I get some coilovers.
I have also been looking for a leather trim as my driver bolster is quite worn, I found a set of Mk3 Recaro colour concept seats at reasonble money and not too far away, only problem is they have Jazz blue inserts, but a quick trip over to Burry a bit of haggling and they are in my hands. I have ordered some black dye to sort the insets out but decided to fit them anyway,
Ive done a couple of Mk3 to Mk2 seats before where you have to cut and move the outer leg so another 2 hours later and the seats were in.
Gone on long enough now so Here are some pics
57c7ba60.jpg

35ecddb7.jpg

c5b48412.jpg

7c79813a.jpg

8fcb7213.jpg

Some shots of the seats
ceef9c44.jpg

bc85463b.jpg

026cd588.jpg

7aeadbb6.jpg

some engine pics
11f58713.jpg

ec43d29f.jpg

79a83dcf.jpg

7d0c1226.jpg

And some random pics with my Audi
3beff2d6.jpg

7a2e0030.jpg

622be257.jpg

All comments welcome

Had a go at doing the seats today was thinking of doing the blue inserts red, but then decided to go for plain Black
quite easy to do its just a dye gave it a clean then 2 coats going to leave it a couple of days then seal it
Heres some pics what do you think??
2ef9d7f3.jpg

c3494379.jpg

e92a5e82.jpg

95502ca0.jpg

1535aa02.jpg

551e7fb6.jpg

02131719.jpg

3184bd8c.jpg

WOW!!

Im loving the work you have put into this, my 1st car was a white 8v Mk2 (has always been my fave!!)

Will be watching the thread, good amount of work you have done there as well in such a short amount of time...

Keep up the good work.

Hows the car running?

I'm so glad you changed the leather seat innards!!

Love a good Mk1/2 GTi conversion, modern modification had got so plug and play that it's rare you see PROPER work being done unless BT conversion is undertaken!

Nice work, keep it coming!

Brilliant love the thread brought back so many memories back for me of my own golf gti. Mine was identical to yours and I spent thousands on it. You have so made me want another well done man.

WOW!!

Im loving the work you have put into this, my 1st car was a white 8v Mk2 (has always been my fave!!)

Will be watching the thread, good amount of work you have done there as well in such a short amount of time...

Keep up the good work.

Hows the car running?

Im on a funny shift at work at the moment and get quite alot of time off so Im making the most of it, I always put the effot in as like them right, the car runs brill Its costing me £25 a week to run as the Audi it £40/45 so cant grumble

I'm so glad you changed the leather seat innards!!

Love a good Mk1/2 GTi conversion, modern modification had got so plug and play that it's rare you see PROPER work being done unless BT conversion is undertaken!

Nice work, keep it coming!

The inners were horrible but im on a tight budget and agrre not a fan of modern cars and computers

Brilliant love the thread brought back so many memories back for me of my own golf gti. Mine was identical to yours and I spent thousands on it. You have so made me want another well done man.

Prices are up and down at the moment its a good time to buy go on you know you want another

Thanks for all the comments

car is looking great, awesome job on the leather colour job!