Mk3 Golf GTi - Not starting

• Thread starter imported_cheekiestmunkee
  • Start date
I

imported_cheekiestmunkee

About 4 weeks ago my 94 Golf GTi decided it didn `t want to start. In to the garage it went and after a bit of umm-ing and ah-ing the coil and module were changed and seemed to solve the problem. However, last week, the same thing happened. The car was running fine, I parked up and next time I tried to start it, it didn`t want to fire. Back to the garage and the mechnics computer couldn`t find the fault (same as last visit) so he just tried replacing the coil and module again........ no joy. The car has fairly new plugs and lead and the distributer and rotor arm are fine. The only mod to the car that could effect the electrics is a Clifford Concept 300 alarm/immobiliser but when that kicks in the ignition wouldn`t try to fire anyway so I`m baffled. Can anyone help?

Does the engine turn over on the starter or do you not get anything?

It`s turning over but just doesn`t fire up.

I'd suspect the distributer then. The caps can get hairline cracks which allow moisture onto the contact strips making it dificult to start, replacing the cap is cheap and easy. We have had a lot of wet weather lately. However on my Mk2 it ended up being the dizzy, just don't get VAG to sort it as they charge about £150 just for the part!

I`ll have a check, but I`m pretty sure the cap`s in good shape and there`s no obvious dampness under the cap. There was only a matter of minutes between it working fine and not starting at all making me think that something has just gone "pop". Just don`t know what!!

Turns out it was a bad earth preventing it from starting, hence the reason for the code reader not picking up the fault!

Cheers for the help