The original!

DJG

Reaction score
A Mk1 1.6 GTI was my first decent car back in 1983 (Yes that does make me a lot older than most of you lot).

Great fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Initially it had a problem and felt a bit breathless at high revs in the lower gears and at fairly high speeds would initially stop accelerating at certain revs before eventually accelerating again.

Local VW dealer no help for sorting this out (sort of rolled their eyes when I told them what speed it occurred at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Then I heard about GTI Engineering.

Took the car to them and when I explained the symptoms they immediately said it sounded like a broken or soft valve spring causing valve bounce. Sure enough with a new set of valve springs no breathlessness or high speed hesitation.

Unfortunatelly this introduced me to their range of modifications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Decided I had to mod, but thought I would buy a newer car so in 1985 bought one of the last MK1s a 1983 GTI 1.8 Campaign. Fairly soon I had a GTI Engineering big valve head and cam fitted which with a new manifold gave 135 BHP (None of that nancy boy chipping in the 80s). Back in 1985 this was pretty competitive! With an uprated suspension kit and a modest ICE upgrade this was just how I wanted it and faster accelerating that the MK2 16V I had as a company car.

In fact I still have it and my wife still uses it regularly mainly around town.

To be honest it is now a bit tatty around the edges, but it is still reliable and has always sailed through its MOT every year.

By today's standards it is a bit raw, but it is still fun! Have to say I do tend to choose to drive my S4 though.

David

I drove my first golf back in 78 or 79. I was at Uni in Uxbridge at the time and somehow mananged to blagg an american (a california girl no less) girlfriend at the time who's father worked in the oil industry.
At the time I was running around in a 1966 Triumph Vitesse, when all of a sudden I was driving a new bronze coloured Golf GLS.
She was given it by her parents for her 18th, but she had no UK license, so I drove the car - all the time, to Uni, the pub, ****** everywhere.

Her folks also had a Ford Cortina Mk3 2000E, Jesus - was I spoilt for choice.

We split up after a year and I went back to old bangers (cars & girls) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif