Which car to get, leon cupra, golf gti etc

dnLcal

Reaction score
Hi, I currenty have a 8L Audi S3 and am looking into replacing it with a newer car. I like the car so would like to get something else from the VAG range.

Looking into spending around £15k

Ive been looking at Golf GTI's, Ed30s, manual and DSG.

Is DSG the way to go or should i stick with a manual. Is it worth going for a Edition 30 or can you get similar performance from a remapped GTI?

With the Cupra i've been loking at the K1 version. Although I like the aggresive extirior styling i'm not so sure on the intirior. ive heard the build quality is'nt as good as Golfs. Is this true?

Also what else is out there in that budget that is fast and comfortable with good build quality?

Any help would be much apreciciated
(as would someone offering me an 8p s3 for that kind of money ;) )
Callum

Can't go wrong with a Golf! I had the same dilema when I bought my car. I eventually bought a standard GTI as I couldn't warrant the extra £2K for 30BHP more and a bit of fancy trim/wheels. Don't get me wrong the ED30 is a nice car, but a good remap can be had for under £500 and give more BHP than the ED30. Anyway, the standard GTI is a great car and I've kept it the way VW intended.
Regarding build quality,the build quality is great and well screwed together. I've no issues, although the plastics are little harder than the MK4. The only thing I've seen on alot of GTI's is wear to the drivers seat side bolster(mine OK). I also like the look of the cupra, but not the interior. Also feel that the cupra is a golf wannabe, that comment may cause some remarks!
My car is the 6speed manual, but I have driven DSG. I prefered manual for total control, but it does come down to personal preference. Just be wary of the mechatronics that can cost around £1K and remember that if you gown down the re-map route, the DSG will also need one.
Go for the Golf, you know it makes sense! You can view mine on ebay, item number 220664397326. Hope this helps.

I'd go for the Edition 30 if im honest mate. Seat Leon Cupra dont hold value that strong the interior boring if you ask me.
And you see most leons with the K1 kit. Where as the edition 30 you dont see many of them or like a likes.
All depends what you want edition 30 as easy to get 300bhp+ without spending loads of dolla. Where there GTI your gonna have to get a turbo etc. And you can pick GTI with less than 70k on 55reg for under £9k on autotrader. I'd either have the GTI or ED30. All depends what you want from the car, comfort, performance, looks if your going to mod it etc. Go for a few test drives check some forums out and go from there :) Good luck

Just went to test drive a manual ED30 and loved it. It was very comfortable and fast enough from standard. Went to look at a cupra and decided against it as the interior looks horrid! Going to see if I can find another nice ED30 to test drive. Only problem with the one I drove was a scuff on the bumper that had been touched up and it was a little higher mileage than I'd hoped.

Definatly think it's the way to go. Shame it's not an Audi though :(

Cal

Just went to test drive a manual ED30 and loved it. It was very comfortable and fast enough from standard. Went to look at a cupra and decided against it as the interior looks horrid! Going to see if I can find another nice ED30 to test drive. Only problem with the one I drove was a scuff on the bumper that had been touched up and it was a little higher mileage than I'd hoped.

Definatly think it's the way to go. Shame it's not an Audi though :(

Cal

Get them to spray the whole bumper if your not happy with the touch up Cal. And as long as its been serviced and had everything changed cambelt, oil, plugs etc should be fine :) Dont blame for staying away for the curpa interior is poor.
Keep us updated

When is the cam belt due on these cars? its on 42k so im not expecting it to have been due yet. Will keep you updated about the car...

Cal

When is the cam belt due on these cars? its on 42k so im not expecting it to have been due yet. Will keep you updated about the car...

Cal

I'd expect between 65k-75k (mine 75k)...Dont take my word, best give vw a quick call to confirm.
Good luck

ED30 Manual. All day long.

That sounds about right to me.
Good job im looking at a manual ED30 isnt it ;)

Cal

Edition 30 all the way.

I think the Edition 30's use the bigger K04 turbo, same as the Leon Cupra. The standard GTI uses the smaller K03 turbo.
And I think the cambelts are 60k or 4 years, whichever comes first?

Lee

Got myself an ED30 now :D
Was sad to see the S3 go but the golf is more than making up for it!

Went to VW and they said cambelt due at 120,00 or 4 years. im pretty sure they meant 60,000 or 4 years though!

Id like to say thanks to all you guys that have helped me on here with my S3 even if it was from reading other threads.
I'm sure i'll still be kicking about on here, even though i dont post much.

Heres a pic of the new car for those who are intrested...

gti.jpg

Cheers.
Cal

Got myself an ED30 now :D
Was sad to see the S3 go but the golf is more than making up for it!

Went to VW and they said cambelt due at 120,00 or 4 years. im pretty sure they meant 60,000 or 4 years though!

Id like to say thanks to all you guys that have helped me on here with my S3 even if it was from reading other threads.
I'm sure i'll still be kicking about on here, even though i dont post much.

Heres a pic of the new car for those who are intrested...

gti.jpg

Cheers.
Cal

Good choice Cal, damn it cant see the photo in work lol. Will check it out once im home. Congratz on the new car and glad your happy with it

good choice, glad you steered away from the leon the interior is shocking compared to audi/vw. more the reason im trading in my seat ibiza for an a3

the ed 30 was going to be my next car, but they hold there price too well, but the remap to over 300bhp will be cool

nice choice on the golf i was in the same dilemma but the GTI was ALOT more to insure for me so i went with the a3 1.8tfsi.

The GTI can be bought for a reasonable price, strong resale value and the interior etc is really nice.

The seat is nice but i would prefer the golf solely because of the name and the looks its a smart car from factory. The edition 30 kit looks lovely i thinkit just finishes it off perfectly ad the white color mhmmm yummy :w00t:

ED30 left me disappointed, I'd splash the cash and get the LCR K1