PS3 pre-orders on Ebay...

MikeS4

MikeS4
Reaction score
Like a few others on ASN, i've bought a few ps3's to flog on Ebay but i've been keeping an eye on listings for pre-orders and they don't seem to be selling for any more then their release price.
Could this mean that people have wised up after the 360 & Wii release's or are these listings just too premature to make any profit yet.
I would have thought that the real profit is made when on release date, stocks have run out & the only source is Ebay or similar.

What are you chaps planning?

eBay clamping down on things...

***PlayStation 3 Pre-sales***

01 March, 2007 | 12:16PM GMT
Due to the high demand and limited supply of the Sony PlayStation 3 gaming systems, eBay is taking strong measures to protect both buyers and sellers within our community.
During the pre-sale period, which lasts until 23rd March, you must comply with the following requirements in order to pre-sell a European region PS3 console:
You must offer PayPal as the only payment method.
You must be PayPal verified and link your eBay account to your PayPal account. Find out how to become PayPal verified. If you already have a PayPal verified account, you need to link it to your eBay account. Find out how to link your eBay and PayPal accounts.
You can only pre-sell PS3 consoles using the auction format during the pre-sales period – you cannot pre-sell the consoles using Buy It Now.
One-day listings are not allowed.
In order to list more than two PS3 consoles in the pre-sales period you must have more than 50 feedback, of which at least 98% must be positive.
If you’re pre-selling a PS3 console, your listing must comply with eBay’s Pre-Sale Listings Policy. You must guarantee that the item will be dispatched by the 30th day from the closing date of the listing on eBay.co.uk.
We thank you for your understanding and we appreciate your support in helping to keep eBay a great place to buy and sell.
Regards,
The eBay.co.uk & eBay.ie Teams

Will these restrictions be lifted after release?

We'll have to wait and see if eBay tells us that normal scamming/fraudulent transactions can resume...

So far as I can tell...there are a lot of PS3's on ebay not being sold as there are still stocks in the shops. The ones I've seen that have sold seem to be going for virtually the same as they cost in the shops. Anyone here managed to make any decent profit on ebay?

EVERY shop that's sells them should have them in stock ;)

If someone has paid over the price or waited 50hours in a line to get one then all I can say is :tumble:

I have to agree...I can't understand why anyone would ever pay vastly inflated prices to get a console off ebay. Some people definately have more money than sense. I remember seeing 360's on ebay for about £600 on their launch. Why would you pay over double for a console!!! I like gaming as much as the next person but I'd rather wait a few months and save £300!!!

I was going to grab one but the reviews said its just the hd dvd/blu ray player which makes it expensive
they can keep it for the mo

What I find amazing is that a new console on the market i.e. thePS3 ISN'T making the rrp on Ebay as people just don't seem to be buying them and you can get one at any shop. PSP, DS Lite, 360 and the Wii's were all in short demand on release and commanded a premium price on Ebay.

I reckon Sony will drop the price of the console within 6 weeks unless people start buying them en-mass.

I think Sony purposely flooded the market with consoles to stop people from bulk buying/profiting. They new they were already taking a loss by producing such a high spec machine so this may have been used as a counter measure.

I read an article stating that Sony have made record sales both in the UK and across europe, apparently 600,000 units have shifted across Europe and there are still 400,000 left to be sold.

I myself bought a couple of extra units, thankfully I have managed to return one of them and I will hang onto the other one just in case the panic selling stops.

I originally ordered 3 but have returned all of them, funny thing is that ebay is now the cheapest place to get one - yesterday a ps3 sold for £350 + £25 delivery = £375......and that was a brand new Uk spec.
If i was u meatchi i would ditch your last one & buy another from ebay.