FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hey folks,

Just wondering; are any of you playing Battlefield 2?

I recently built myself a shiny new b@d@ss PC because I got to thinking that I spend my days developing all kinds of machines, a good chunk of them limited-edition gaming rigs; and the only thing using Direct3D on my own machine was MS Flight Simulator with a load of add-ons for doing proper airline style flight, which remove any remainder of the game element from it and make it a pure simulation.

Anyway, new rig purchased and built, then re-built with watercooling because air-cooling was waaaaaaay too noisy when it was working hard; but once that was out of the way it became time to get on with some gaming. What can I say; I'm absolutely hooked on Battlefield 2! It's an amazing game; the whole thing is excellent, outstanding gameplay and if you can get your rig to handle some meaty graphics settings it's almost cinematic. I spent the weekend I'd planned to clean the car inside and out hammering the dragon valley map getting to grips with the Apaché and finding sneaky methods of C4'in enemy positions while dodging their APCs and Tanks.

Once you get online with it, the experience goes from being excellent to just taking the p!55 out of other games and engines. A few different map sizes with the biggest comfortably acommodating 64 players all going at-it with infantry, jeeps, APCs, tanks, anti-aircraft, helicopters, figher-bombers and boats.

So.... Any of you fighting online with this great game? ... What servers are you hitting?....

Regards,

Rob.

Rob

Am considering upgrading my pc.
Rude questions in some circles.....To what specs do i need to go to get BadAss? And what kinds costs or where do you get your kit?

Cheers

Yeah, I'm hooked on it. Only problem I have is that it takes for ever to get promotions etc. Only got to private first class (1st promotion) after about 30 hrs playing, and thats averaging about 20-30 points per round

[ QUOTE ]
A definate purchase soon i have played the demo and was very impressed with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you haven't got time for games, theres the baby to wash and clean, house work to do, shopping to be bought, car to be cleaned, lawn to be mowed and then come on here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too true... too true...i can always count on you to bring me back to earth with a thud TDI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Rob

Am considering upgrading my pc.
Rude questions in some circles.....To what specs do i need to go to get BadAss? And what kinds costs or where do you get your kit?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]
It really depends on what you want to do with it; obviously the biggest argument of all is Intel vs. AMD; with nVIDIA vs. ATI for graphics being the next battle...

For all-out graphics performance in games, the current commonly-accepted cutting-edge is a system based on a dual-core Athlon64 processor (Athlon64 X2 4800+ is top of the range at present) - and up to two nVIDIA graphics cards - the GeForce 7800GTX being their current top-end product and capable of running in tandem.

I personally use my machine for a lot more than just Gaming (and as I mentioned, I'm only just getting into actually playing the games I build for now); with a lot of different IP/Office type uses and another large chunk of its time being devoted to music production; I'm not a big fan of AMD architecture (although I recognise its speed); and the AMD dual-core parts are a lot more expensive than their "cheap and cheerful" single-core siblings.

The spec I went for on this rig is something like this:

Chenbro Gaming Bomb 2 Black Aluminium Case
Tagan EasyCon 430W Modular PSU
Asus P5WD2 Premium Mainboard (Intel i955X Chipset) (Gigabit LAN and all the other bells and whistles you'd expect onboard)
Intel Pentium 4-D 830 (Dual Core 3.0GHz)
2GB Corsair Value Select PC4300 DDR2 Memory (2 x 1GB sticks)
XFX nVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX 256MB
Seagate 200GB SATA HDD (Operating System / Apps Drive)
3 x Seagate 250GB SATA HDD (RAID5 array for storage / games / music)
Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM
NEC 16X Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD-R/W
M-Audio Delta 44 Sound Card
Mitsumi 1.44MB FDD with Integrated Flash Card Reader.

...and I most recently fitted it out with a Zalman Reserator1-Plus Water-Cooling System which has let me get the rig seriously quiet considering its power, with headroom to overclock my chip from 2 x 3.0GHz to 2 x 3.75GHz (and it might go further, I decided not to push my luck because I couldn't be bothered having to reset my BIOS) - and an overclock like that on a Smithfield-core P4 is quite an achievement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Total cost to build was about £1500 and it's a really nice machine; and handles everything I need it to do with ease.

But like I say, it's horses for courses - a similar AMD spec. might be more suitable depending on what you're planning to use the machine for... I'm happy to help out with spec. ideas if you let me know how you use your computer's time.

As for where I got my bits from; I bought them all from work which made it a little cheaper (without wanting to be the ad-boy (that's a whole-other story)) - http://www.scan.co.uk - There are probably some pictures of our latest baby on there which myself and my good friend Tom are responsible for - a £5000 gaming rig with two seperate watercooling loops and a rather special heat-reactive paint job! Of course that's going a bit over the top for most of us mortals though.

Anyway, like I say, let me know if you want some help with specification ideas.

Take it easy,

Rob.

PS> On the Battlefield 2 front; we're spending a lot of time on the Desert Rats #1 Server, if I'm not there, I might be on the EA UK or Europe ones - I'm playing as factionone on there too; so maybe I'll bump into some of you folks...

[ QUOTE ]
I play /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But just singleplayer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Bah! Come on!... Multiplayer... You know you want to...

I've never really been into this whole online-gaming thing; but BF2 has gripped me; and the game experience gains so much online. ...Desert Rats #1 or #2 - 64 player servers with a mixture of newbies and clan-members - brilliant fun - and somewhere I've been getting shot to sh!t quite a lot recently! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

If you do make it online, keep an eye out for factionone - or any of my colleagues in the Badger squad...

Regards,

Rob.

Don't know if I can get away with this, but I'm in a clan called the [DVDF]. We've just set up a BF2 ranked server and it seems to be doing well. Played the game for a few weeks, but because my system was having trouble keeping up, fell back to our clan fave, Call of Duty United Offensive.
www.dvdf.net if anyone wants the IP

I play it in the evenings if I have had a beer and ain't drivin,I am bigeyd and play on a few servers
freddyshouse,foq clan and the british empire are good uns
I only upgraded my old pc for the upcoming ghost recon which if anything like the original then it'll be quality but I'm hooked on bf2

nvidia geoforce 7800 gt,3.2 gig pentium 4 and am buying a digital monitor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Hey all, im new to your forums and this is an old topic but im a BF2 player in a clan called eXiege, check us out @ www.exiege.com We have our own server ip-82.192.78.38:16567
you can add me to youre x-fire: aowsmcmanus cheers