PS3 Red light of death

indiemike

ZoomZoom
Reaction score
Just happened whilst watching a dvd. Wont switch on or anything just flashes

Gutted because ive sent silly amounts of hours on GT5.... All licences, all sliver or above, 300 odd cars

Now a week before xmas and with wedding coming up.... It dies

Anyone know if there are any places in the north west that fixes them

Sorry to hear that. If you lived closer I could have fixed it. I've done a few ps3's with this and charge £20 on a no fix no fee.

Isn't the death of a ps3 a yellow light??

From what I know, the most common cause is over heating and solder joints therefore melting and becoming dry joints. I've seen a video of a dude attempting to resolder his board and apparently it worked. Have a google about it. Commonly known as 'YLOD'. Try google that phrase.

ive never even heard of a death light for a ps3 :ohmy:.. i thort it was just a xbox thing!

ive never even heard of a death light for a ps3 :ohmy:.. i thort it was just a xbox thing!
Im not sure on the red light but my 40gig fat had the yellow light and im yet to fix it as i bought a slim instead ;) . Its caused by overheating simalar to the xbox in my case i didn't clean the dust out of the vents at the back and after 2 1/2 years of heavy use the motherboard fried. So clean the vents and it wont hurt to buy an added cooling fan just to make sure.

Im not sure on the red light but my 40gig fat had the yellow light and im yet to fix it as i bought a slim instead ;) . Its caused by overheating simalar to the xbox in my case i didn't clean the dust out of the vents at the back and after 2 1/2 years of heavy use the motherboard fried. So clean the vents and it wont hurt to buy an added cooling fan just to make sure.

Few folk i know ps3's have burned out which made me panic as ive still got the original 60b version i got about a week after they came out,I had the cooling fan for about a week as my ps3 was a little noisy but the cooling fan certainly never helped it sounded like a 747! I done a fan test on mine.

1.TURN OFF POWER FROM BACK OF CONSOLE. HOLD THE EJECT BUTTON AND TURN ON POWER
3. U SHOULD HEAR LOUD FAN NOISE FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS
4. THE POWER LIGHT WILL TURN RED AND THE BEEP NOISE WILL HAPPEN
5.TURN POWER OFF
6.TURN POWER ON AND FINISHED

Most people tell you to do this at your own risk, so be advised.

I placed it on a piece of a4 paper and was astounded to see the amount of dust that came out. Ps3's been quiet ever since, the fans come on the odd time but never the way before.

my dam ps3 has just had the ylod happen anybody know how to fix it as ive tryed the hair dryer thing with no fix so am ****** of as ive spent hours on gt5 and dont want to lose all my work:sos:

Some people say that the fan test is bad for your ps3, well if that was the case then why would sony incorporate it into their system? Its simply a technical test to make sure that the fans are working and that the temperature control is reset. this makes the ps3 run as it should but it shouldnt be done often.

I'm on ps3 number 6 for the orange light of death. It's on the original models the 60gb, the power supply in the ps3 overheats, as a precaution it simply won't turn on. I had to send 5 consoles back, 2 of which did it within a week, plus the first one I sent back they didn't return modern warfare, so all the others that died on me I opened up to get the game. Any data on the hard drive can't be retrieved either, the hard drive is only compatible with that console, I was MEGA ******.

It was the YLOD I had, when it was broke there was just a flashing red light.
Ended up taking it to a bloke in winsford, took him about 30min and cost me £40 and "touch wood" its been fine since

Ive taken it apart and cleaned all the dust out of it, Ive had it since lauch date which was about 4 years ago and for the amount of use its had I think its done well. I went through 3 Xboxes in around 9months with them dying so the PS3 has done much better

I'm on ps3 number 6 for the orange light of death. It's on the original models the 60gb, the power supply in the ps3 overheats, as a precaution it simply won't turn on. I had to send 5 consoles back, 2 of which did it within a week, plus the first one I sent back they didn't return modern warfare, so all the others that died on me I opened up to get the game. Any data on the hard drive can't be retrieved either, the hard drive is only compatible with that console, I was MEGA ******.
mine died and its not the 60gb ive got the 40gb and is had the ylod happen but its the original ps3 not the slimline i hope i can get it fixed as ive got so much data on there from various games and loads of films

The hard drive in a PS3 is a standard 2.5" sata hard drive. The same type you find in most laptops. If the hard drive isn't faulty there is no reason why you cannot take the hard drive out and switch it into a new PS3. The problem is that switching the hard drive will format it (loosing all the data). You will need to do a backup of the data to a pen drive or an external drive first. It might be possible to get a YLOD PS3 working long enough to do this, check YouTube for some guides. I was told by a friend that he had copied all the data from his original 40GB PS3 HD onto a 500GB HD without a problem using his PC. He uses a dock to the PC and a specific software (not sure which though). The only issue was that the 500GB drive needed to be formated to FAT32 first. He then put that HD into his PS3 and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure what software he used though. I guess if all else fails and a new PS3 is needed then it's possible to switch HD's assuming it isn't broken and restore your data from a backup.

Last edited:
Data is easy enough to recover.

Go buy a Hard drive reader pc world, novatech, PC world, argos or maplins
You can buy a SATA Hard drive reader for around £15.00

Open the PS3 up and take out the hard drive.
Plug Hard drive reader into PC or Lap-top (USB connection) and let the pc find the hardware (pc may not automatically find and install hardware if theres no drive plugged into the reader, that depends on which reader you buy but don't panic, it will recognise it as soon as the HD is plugged in.
Slot the hard drive into shiny new Hard drive reader.
Click on "my computer" you will see the hard drive showing as a removable disc E,F or G dependant on what you already have on your PC.
Create a new folder on your pc on a drive with enough free memory to hold the data on your PS3 drive.
Click on the removable drive (hard drive reader) and it will open showing the data.
Copy data and then paste to the new folder.

You won't have to format and drives if all you are doing is transferring data for staorage until you upload to a new PS3 drive.

Good luck in getting fixed

get an Xbox, they dont have this issue anymore and kick PS3's **** online :)

ive done the heatgun trick and its worked well so got my data off my hard drive thankfully but my gt5 data is protected so cant copy it argh it so annoying is there any way of copying it or removing the protection as my ps3 is working temp ??