Difference?

Daboyracer

Speed Freak
Reaction score
hi all,
gonna get me a cable next week but i want to know the difference between the ones sold on ebay and the one 'NHN' is supplying?

thanks

Damo

You won't get the most recent, fully licensed version of VCDS with the cable bought on eBay, also the quality of the cable may not be the best.

Also potentially you may purchase an illegal cracked copy of VCDS or cable.

Ross-Tech spend a lot of money in R&D, Software Development and User Support but still they manage to produce and sell a product at a reasonable price point for what it can do. Just ask a dealer how much his official VAG diagnostic system costs.

Do yourself a big favour and make sure that you purchase a genuine Ross-Tech cable.

Paul

hey Damo, ok some info may help you decide even if not from me:

1st of all they're illegal if you are getting anything above version 409, counterfeit & its very commonly known that they tend to give up the ghost so what a waste of money overall
2nd it will be locked to a specific version & not updateable whatsoever if its above 409
3rd if you buy the dumb interface for version 312-409 then this would be a shareware version & very limited & its extremely old, plus if you buy a license for this from RT then this will be also the older 409 version as they dont support dumb interfaces after that version
4th you will pay $99 for the license for the much older version, this is a waste of money IMHO as its older version, locked to a pc cant be used on any machine, only one & with cable thats maybe £100, IMHO pointless but others would differ.
5th no support whatsoever & I personally dont support or help people with counterfeits, although others may do
6th No use of updated versions released & compatibility with new cars, where as genuine ones will always work on all cars when released with an update
7th Genuine ones get free updates & free support
8th Genuine ones can be used on any pc/laptop given the activation is built into the cable, not the software, I've used mine on numerous laptops without problems, given I'm a tech whore & I like new laptops frequently & work in this sector.

I mean I could list many more reasons, but do I really need to, maybe someone will list why not to use genuine, but overall I cant think of one reason why not to tbh, here's a simple maths lesson without being condescending

VAG VAS5052 is £5-12k & you must subscribe to updates at a huge cost
VCDS supplied delivered £244(from me) with free updates & support

The term no brainer would seem appropriate here woudnt you agree & anyone that says its expensive or a rip of needs a lobotomy :)

8.5th You get to deal with my happy face, that alone is worth millions, grab it whilst you can mate :nyah:

8.5th You get to deal with my happy face, that alone is worth millions, grab it whilst you can mate :nyah:

Blimey mate you got that spiel in a document that you cut'n'paste from, is you happy face really worth that much - LOL :jester:

No I just made up the top part, but the 8.5th is from a best seller, it was called "How To Buy A Vagcom Successfully Without Getting Bum Raped "

:lmfao:

Thanks for all the replys looks like i wont be getting the cable next week but will be trying to put the money together for the legit one