Loss of power under load, blue smoke, VCDS codes.

SAiLO

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,
recently my car has developed a problem - when under load (for instance: on 4th gear reaching 3k revs and pushing the accelerator pedal) the engine will noticeably lose power, then car goes into limp mode.

A few weeks ago I've noticed car being really smoky, so I took off the bluefin remap and carried on without it. Blue smoke would still be visible when starting from the traffic lights etc.

Think it might be the turbo saying goodbye, but I've also been thinking about boost pipes since I can hear hissing sound when I take my foot off the accelerator when on boost.

Here are the VCDS codes.

Can someone experienced recommend a good garage to change the turbo and if I have to the pipes as well in London area? East London preferably.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 FF HW: 028 101 190 5
Component: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 6337
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: AUX7Z0D4FNJ07O
Coding: 0000032
Shop #: WSC 66565 257 00032

2 Faults Found:
18041 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185): Signal too Low
P1633 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 34.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.46 V
Bin. Bits: 00000111
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Bin. Bits: 0 01 0

16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
P0234 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3276 /min
Torque: 326.0 Nm
Speed: 113.0 km/h
Load: 89.4 %
Voltage: 14.44 V
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Absolute Pres.: 2233.8 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 2590.8 mbar

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0023174
Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

hi just a quick post - i found your post when searching - the symptoms of your car were very similar to mine

my smoke was caused by a blocked oil seperator and the revs wouldnt pick up due a faulty mas air flow sensor

i hope this may be of some use to you

kindest regards,

alex

Over boost is probably due to the variable vanes in the turbo, they get stuck due to soot in the exhaust.

Replace Turbo - or you can also clean the vanes up.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.
My garage told me it's turbo when I went about a month ago as well.
Just waiting for it to get worse, since after they've replaced the dmf & clutch things got better and I only had overboost logged once in 5th gear.
It happened on the motorway, full throttle. I just switched it off and back on and loss of power never came back, even though I kept it under boost.
Apparently those turbos need to be put under pressure from time to time.

Your turbo will go at anytime with these faults described, you're just prelonging the inevitable mate, if I was you I would get the turbo removed & the vanes cleaned asap as that bill will be a shed load less than the new turbo bill trust me as I've been there, only thing you're gambling is your own money & its just a case of how much tbh as either way its gonna cost yer, just common sense now will determine if its a lower cost or not.

Thanks for the advice, I want to use this product Innotec Turbo Clean Set to clean the turbo.
I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but not sure where to start and if I've got all the tools. After speaking to a person from Innotec I got advised that removing the exhaust manifold will be necessary to access the turbo.

Would it be a big risk trying to do it myself or is it more reasonable to take it to the garage?

Ta.

Nah forget that stuff, its been tried & did squat, depends how confident you are with these things, mine blew up on border of slovenia, got it towed back to italy where the home was, then took the bitch apart on the drive & turbo impellor had snapped of probably from so much boost, so ordered hybrid & stuck her on mate, been good ever since, now with the turbo tuned to suit aswell even better.

Oh & btw I did it with axle stands & a trolley jack for safety, so if I can do that without a ramp anyone can.

Taking it to the garage today to get the turbo replaced.
It's done under warranty so I don't think I can't pick a hybrid turbo to go with, just OEM parts.
Still, better than a turbo that from sounding like police siren went to sounding like a meat mincer mode.

UPDATE:

Turbo replaced, the whine is gone, my A3 feels like a brand new car now! Happy days! There was a 2mm carbon buidup inside of the manifold pipe as well.

Last edited: