FAULT CODE......A3 TDI 2.0 BKD

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Got this code yesterday and car went into limp mode.
It happened when i was doing about 50-60 mph and put my foot down

After switching car off then i restarted it and it was ok,never had the problem over the next 35 miles of driving.
Thort id post it on here as ive had this issue before,but not very often only once say every 2 months of driving.........is it common/normal ( i use the car once a week) on this occasion i used it after 2 weeks.

16618-boost pressure limit exceeded ( overboost condition) PO234-000-

Uh oh, dude this could be a sign of the vanes sticking on the turbo, I would be very very careful at this point cause if they're sticking then it could blow the turbo fella.

What should i do ? will engine be ok or is there a cure?

Well on 1st thoughts of this error, I would consider either removal of turbo & check vanes, then clean if its gunked up or change of turbo, based on what we know so far, thing is mate if it does indeed go, then you have a crappy job of cleaning it up, call me ana,l but I removed IC & cleaned out all piping & emptied oil out of the cat/exhaust system, be warned if you do continue to drive & the turbo does go pop, immediately stop & turn engine of as it drops all the oil out of systems & could cause further damage.

How many miles have been done so far?

been up and down motorway yesterday and all is ok so far,107k

Thats how it starts though, you've been warned & also at 107k its more than likely this, you should have it checked out mate for peace of mind cause 1-2k potentially for turbo when a removal & clean up could be 3-500

when you say ''drop all the oil'' what exactly do you mean........i mean does it empty the oil out of the engine?

Yes cause the turbo is fed oil from the engine aswell, so shares oil as such, so when turbo goes, the seal goes so oil comes out into the exhaust & IC pipes, thus no engine oil cause pump is shoving it through oil feed pipe & not back into sump/engine

oh i see......nice one for ya help by the way. This common or aint i doing the car any good by using it once a week? Would it be better if i start kicking the turbo in now and again or does it need a blast up the m6!

Seems to be more common yes, mine went exactly like this & unbeknown to me what the faults were until I read more, typical but hey & it would of helped possibly before to burn out some crap built up in turbo, but now its kinda risky if the vanes are indeed sticking cause giving it a thrashing might just overboost it more to snap the shaft in turbo, personally if was me & going on I've taken it all apart & replaced mine, I wouldnt risk it, get it removed, cleaned & refitted, tbh if you've got tech head & big kahoonas then do it urself, I did whlst in Italy & with axle stands, no ramp so if I can do anyone can, lol.

ANY ADDITIVES I CAN USE IN OIL OR SUMAT?

No, the only one that people heard about didnt do squat to the last guys turbo I heard of, so best bet is take it of, clean her up, check for any play or damage & if ok stick her back on.