vag com no response from controller

ginna104

Reaction score
hi im new to the site and new to vagcom, ive tried to connect vagcom to my car 1998 r reg audi a4 2.8 v6 30v b5 model i think ? but just get a " no response from controller " coming up after about 5 mins scanning has anyone had this fault or heard of it before ?? many thanks ginna

You are using an aftermarket wire and version 409- right? Running on Vista or XP? If in Vista, you need to run in Admin mode and XP compatible. 409 is not Vista compatible.

Then you have the problem that while you have a USB hook up, it is really a serial cable and you have to find a comm port that will talk with your wire. Lots of posts around about this.

After you do that, then you may still have to mess with VAG-COM's baud rate setting to get it to talk.

Genuine Ross-Tech products avoid all this hassle.

hi thanks for the reply yes its a aftermarket wire and ive 2 set up's one with vista and usb and one with windows 98 serial port they both won't talk and i get the same reply's on them no response, how do i set the baud rate to get it to talk ? i will purchase the genuine vagcom item if i can make sure that it will talk to my car as my brother has a 05 reg a4 and we can both use the hex connecter. many thanks again for any help

hi thanks for the reply yes its a aftermarket wire and ive 2 set up's one with vista and usb and one with windows 98 serial port they both won't talk and i get the same reply's on them no response, how do i set the baud rate to get it to talk ?

Go to the [Options] Screen and adjust the baud rate there.

i will purchase the genuine vagcom item if i can make sure that it will talk to my car as my brother has a 05 reg a4 and we can both use the hex connecter. many thanks again for any help

Have you tried your setup on another car? Are sure the fuse for the diagnostic port is still good? Are you sure you don't have a dodgy connection in the diagnostic connector?

Before you spend money, make certain that your car is okay. Get someone else to run a scan on it. You should also verify that there is no problem with the connector by running the test on the [Options] screen.

There's a sticky in the 8L section at the top of all VAGCOM owners in areas willing to help you, if you're near me I'd scan for you so can be definitive if its the lead or your car, then if its your lead you can discuss with me about purchasing a genuine one if you would like to, your choice but I'd still scan for free if you come to me, where abouts are you as can check who I know local to you.

hi many thanks again bear the bruce i will have a look and see if i can figure it out !! NHN im in pontefract west yorks about 13 miles from leeds i work in leeds through the week so if thats any help or depending how far you are i can travel to you ?

iv'e had my mate put his snap on scanner onto the car but that won't talk to it either so its giving me a feeling that there's something else wrong not the vag-com or diagnostic lead.

iv'e had my mate put his snap on scanner onto the car but that won't talk to it either so its giving me a feeling that there's something else wrong not the vag-com or diagnostic lead.

Didn't put in an aftermarket radio since you last tried did you?

The fact that the Snapless tool will not connect is another clue. Check the fuse for the diagnostic connector. Check the wiring in the connector. Your problem is in the car not in your VAG-COM setup - I'd bet a beer or two on that. (Good luck collecting if I am wrong - you'll have to come to the states to collect!)

no mate i haven't got a aftermarket radio in as ive read they also spike the plug !! i will check the fuse and look for a wiring diagram to check the wiring, my mate is out in the states a lot playing 8 and 10 ball pool in vegas etc so he might get one for me and fetch it back with him !! cheers again for the reply's.

no mate i haven't got a aftermarket radio in as ive read they also spike the plug !! i will check the fuse and look for a wiring diagram to check the wiring, my mate is out in the states a lot playing 8 and 10 ball pool in vegas etc so he might get one for me and fetch it back with him !! cheers again for the reply's.

Check this link for someone near you as I'm way to far down for you:

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57293

right been looking at wiring and have found some nice person has wired a relay into the abs wiring behind the clocks so the abs light doesn't come on !! this could be the start of the fault so vag-com won't talk to anything !! will re wire it and try vag-com again cheers for the help guy's

You gotta be kidding me, some people man amaze me, not you but others, I guess some did that to get rid of the abs errors to sell the car, I wont vent words about these idiots, disgraceful if this is the case & tbh if so very unsafe for the buyer given brake systems afterall.

ye now ive re-wired the relay the warning symbol is on the dash big red one and the abs light is on ! done some digging and found out a ecu maybe required !!

shed a bit more light on the situation today i found a post on the forum about abs ecu's going faulty a little wire inside the ecu breaks, well i took the abs ecu off today opened it up and found the wire broken so i soldered another wire in and built it back up. vag com works and i have a abs sensor fault on the nsf !! gonna get a sensor on monday and see what happens.. happy iv'e got vag com talking to the car though !!

Damn you have had a fair few issues with wiring huh, lol, well kudos to you for taking the time to find the fault, well done.

Make sure its an oem sensor.

cheers i enjoy a challenge !! i know quite a bit about electrics etc im a car technician working for lexus at the moment, gonna attempt the cam belt soon !!