Chris NottEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

A3 coming Home/leaving Home lights

I raised a thread under the A3 8P section regarding the above some months back:-

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=65844://

Well, I have another two questions which hopefully some one can answer. The first is, now that the summer is here I want to turn these off! I have done everything in VDS (and I mean everything - checked and checked!!) but when I unlock my car my lights come on. Is there something I'm missing?

Second question is that I have recently downloaded Beta VDS 904.0 and I have noticed that the central electrics screen has changed. Screen print below:-

This is what it was with version 804.2 :-

This is what it is now:-

Can anyone help with what Bit 5 now does?

and if you have read my earlier post, I still have the problem that if I enable 'assitance driving light_leaving home active' in Bit 5, Byte 0 in 09 central electrics I lose the DRL and get just my headlights. (Sebastian and Bruce - you said this would be looked at, any answers yet please?)

Thanks very much

Neil

(PS, I have a fully registered micro can VDS lead and my car is a 09 A3 S-line Cabriolet)
    Last edited by pns2007; 10th May 2009 at 20:05.

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Does the coming-home logic have any effect on your DRLs problem?

If you want to disable CH-LH do it through the DIS and see what happens.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm only able to 'control' the ch/lh lights in DIS when I have activated the 'assistance driving lights......' in bit 5 Byte 0. If I do this my DRL is my headlight (as posted before). I have done this though, activated Bit 5, Byte 0 then turned it off on the DIS and then deactivated Bit5, but the bloody lights still come on when I unlock the car. This is doing my head in and I'm going round in circles.

I have checked the bit 5 in Byte 23 (the subject of my new posting) but I don't see anything different than before.

I just want to be able to control the ch/lh lights in DIS and also keep my DRL (which are not LED's)

Does the coming-home logic have any effect on your DRLs problem?
    Doesn't appear to!

Thanks leon
    Last edited by pns2007; 10th May 2009 at 21:19.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Hi Neil, I sent a very long email to RT week or so ago complaining about the support, I still havnt heard anything back from them, but I did speak to Bruce on the phone but alas still no reply, but just sent another email, see if get reply now.

But back to your issue, few things to look at, 1st the bits on vcds, then the dis menus as per Leon, also possibly but unlikely the earth wire touch on a certain pin, but I reckon the dis should resolve this, I would personally leave the vcds bits on & just use dis to change mate.

ooooohhh didnt know there was a new beta v9 out, time to go play.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks Nigel, if I use the DIS function I have to enable it first by checking the assistance driving lights Bit 5 Byte 0. I then loose my DRL's and get my headlights instead!!!!! (THAT'S THE PROBLEM - I'm sure )

I didn't originally use the 'earth wire touch'

Happy playing with Beta 9. If you spot anything please post.

3rd Gear

Status
    Bump - any help from ross tech guys on here.

Thanks in advance

1st Gear

Status
    I really don't know what the difference is between the Old and the New Coming Logic. There shouldn't be any harm in turning on that bit to see what it does. You can always turn it off again.

Keep in mind: We make a tool that allows you to twiddle bits that correspond to a bunch of options that are pre-defined in the firmware running in your control modules, but we do not write the firmware running in those modules; we don't even have the source code for the firmware to look at. This we can only tell you what we've found documented buy Audi or what people have found through experimentation.

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Hi Uwe

Just so I can understand the process further for future reference when we discuss things with vagcom, surely when you add functionality to vagcom like the coming home logic BITS etc, you know what this function actually does within vagcom?

Thanks.

Nigel

1st Gear

Status
    It doesn't do anything within VC. VC simply gives you the ability to turn that bit on or off in that control module, and the control module will behave differently depending on whether the bit is on or off.

The fact that VC version 904 now has that bit labeled "Coming Home Logic (0=Old / 1=New)" means that we found some documentation regarding this bit from Audi, which likely said exactly that in German. But it doesn't mean the the documentation we found explained the difference between the old logic and the new.

-Uwe-

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks Uwe,

Ross Tech's web site appears to suggest that people with newer cars to get in touch and help them with their programming. My car is the latest model A3 and I appear to have found a problem in the area I have posted about.

By coming on here I have highlighted the problem and I have also e-mailed Ross Tech. The more people who buy these later cars will no doubts come across this problem (and others) and will/may buy a VDS cable from you or your licenced retailers to change settings etc.

I have posted a scan of my car before and e-mailed Ross Tech directly some time ago. Either your company wants this information or it doesn't, I'm confused!

I appreciate you don't write the firmware, but if we highlight an area that VDS doesn't seem to be able to sort out then at least you or one of your colleagues could reply to that effect or just simply say you don't know. No one has even asked for any further info from me or said that they will look at the matter.

I know buying a fully licensed cable doesn't given me technical support but this forum and others is a valuable source of information for you guys, thats probably why you sponsor it.

I'm still very new to this and learning allot from fellow forum members which I really apreciate

Thanks

Neil
    Last edited by pns2007; 23rd May 2009 at 14:53.

1st Gear

Status
    Again, we have no influence over how a control module responds to the various bits that you can change with our software. Nor do we have every car, control module, and firmware variant to test the what happens when you change a particular bit, something which can be further complicated by how other bits in the module (and sometimes even other modules!) are set. We document what we can, and we hope that you can achieve the results you desire, but some combinations of things that people desire may simply not be achievable due to the way that the firmware in the modules is written, or because no one has discovered the right combination of settings.

Every e-mail sent to Support[at]Ross-Tech.com by a registered user should get a response of some sort, even if it's "We don't know". Someone answers all mails sent to that address on every business day (but not necessarily on weekends or holidays). E-mails sent to individuals by name are not guaranteed to get the same level of response because any particular individual may be on holiday or be swamped with other work or whatever. Note: When writing to Support, it's a good idea to give your full name and the serial number of your interface. If your e-mail doesn't contain enough info to identify you in our database of registered users, the first response you'll get will be a boiler-plate reply that starts with "Are you a registered user?" and asks you for enough information to enable us to verify that you are.

The various forms are primarily intended as a means for users to help each other. We read and reply to posts in these forums on a time-available basis, and although we may "sponsor" them, they are not an official support channel for registered users.

-Uwe-

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks again Uwe,

I'm not being critical over the software, its excellent, need I say more

My particular problem (not great in the scale of things) has been identified on a fairly newish model vehicle. I'd say again, that Ross Tech appear to encourage people to help them by posting various scans of newer vehicles and problems to help them build on the information they already have and to use these problems which will be of benefit to users in general and of course Ross Tech.

we have no influence over how a control module responds to the various bits that you can change with our software
    I really do appreciate this and I do not wish to alienate any one, but if problems are not presented to you then solutions will never be found and in my business public feedback is probably the most important feedback to have and more importantly it's Free!

Coming Home/leaving home lights appears to be a popular modification and coupled with DRL function on the newer cars I'm sure as the newer facelift A3 ventures into the second hand car market more and more people will be looking at this.

If this forum isn't "an official support channel for registered users" can I post it somewhere else please.

I do believe in your product and I do have a fully licensed cable.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, we absolutely want people to post (or send us) scans and issues (i.e. problems or questions). Public forums are great because questions (and answers when available) are visible to others as well, which is why we try to support the such forums. In the long run, users helping each other actually saves us time. In addition, there are times when owners of a particular type of car have figured things out which we haven't and which aren't documented by Audi. So there's the possibility that you'll get an answer in a public form that you couldn't get from us. But what you have to be willing to accept is that nobody (not even Ross-Tech) has the answer to every question. Furthermore there are occasions when none of Ross-Tech's staff has time to go through all of the different forums on a daily basis. Thus the best approach (especially on a non-critical issue such as a lighting tweak) is probably to start by posting in a public forum. If nobody provides a satisfactory answer within a reasonable amount of time, send a e-mail to our Support box. You don't have to repeat everything you've already posted in a forum, just a quick summary of the question and a link to the details in the forum, plus enough info that we can verify that you're a registered user. At that point, I consider us obligated to respond in some way.

-Uwe-

PS: I'm not being critical either, I'm simply trying to explain this from our perspective.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks Uwe, I apreciate your time in responding to me.

I will e-mail your support group in the next few days.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Neil, I know yours is licensed interms of the cable works with RT downloads, but have you actually registered your cable as in serial number etc with RT as this is a must for them to support you which is fair enough cause anyone can say I've got a licensed cable, just some advise which may or may not apply to you mate.

If registered then correct if I'm wrong but didnt you already email support about the drl issue we were working on?

Uwe his drl issue would seem to suggest that there maybe needs another option within 09 byte 21 for Halogens with DRL's, this is just a speculation mate, but maybe this would help his issues, but of course if audi dont have this then guess neither would VCDS anyway, just thinking aloud based on our investigations.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Nigel, I originally sent the question to Ross Tech Support and got a response suggesting I register my cable first (which I did) and then sent the question again.

I really don't want to make a big issue out of this as its clearly not the end of the world, but I would like the option of being able to control ch/lh lights through DIS and retain the DRL function.

I have finally managed to turn these off now (Don't know whether its the ch or lh lights but everytime I unlock my car the lights would come on(presumably lh?) even though it was disabled in VDS). What I had to do was to enable everything (which meant my headlights were DRL's again) and then go into DIS and turn it off and then disable the function again through VDS so that my DRL's function properly.

(ch/lh would only become active in DIS when I enable the assistance driving light - this then had the effect of changing the DRL's from the bright side light to the dipped headlight)

Seems that VDS doesn't override what is done in DIS

I have 'turned on' the coming home logic as mentioned in my first post but I can't see what it does or any difference it makes.

Its a pity Nigel that you weren't a little closer, I'd come down and show you (at least that would put my mind at ease)

Cheers
    Last edited by pns2007; 24th May 2009 at 10:09.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Hey you seem to have done things I would of tried anyway so cant see anything wrong with your thought process, also its not a big issue its just us guys trying to get to the bottom of an anomaly.

The DIS enabling & disabling was also discovered when we were trying to resolve Iggu's CH/LH issue few weeks back that he had for 8 months, so your info is correct mate so dont worry, it would seem there's a combination on 08 cars of the DIS enabling etc aswell as VCDS, certain procedure to it all, I'm wondering if you disable advanced comfort menus which inturn should remove these features from the DIS if the VCDS on/off works on its own for the CH/LH

Yes LH would be when you unlock the car, but does yours have light sensor, I cant remember? Also refresh my memory did you set the coming home setting to personalisation or light sensor, sorry but with the daily things I come across my memory doesnt remember it all, lol

3rd Gear

Status
    No, no light sensor and the 'personalisation or light sensor' bit is left unchecked. If I remember correctly, when I checked this bit it threw an error code.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Any luck with the newer releases mate with your issues

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Nigel, had a play around with it at the weekend and there is still no difference.

I'm gonna let it lie now as I've just sold my car and pick up an A4 S-line executive on friday WITH PROPER DRL's
    2013 A5 2.0 TDI (177) Black Edition

[s]2012 A1 1.4TFSI (185ps) Black Edition[s]

[s]MY2010 A4 1.8T (160) S-Line executive in brilliant Red[/s]

[s]2008 A3 TDI S-Line Cabriolet 8P3[/s]

A4 (B8) Door warning light and Glovebox retrofits. A1 Heated Mirrors Retrofit

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    ah damn it, ok well we live in hope & I want this resolved tbh, thanks anyway mate, gonna miss u in 8P fella, link me to new car when posted up please.

3rd Gear

Status
    No I will still be around mate. If I can share what little I know with others it will be great.

I sorted out a guys passat on saturday with a few vag com tricks. Felt quite good afterwards!!

I am storing up some questions for you already

My first mod for the A4 will be the illumination pack and I am having trouble interpreting Elsawin wiring diagrams and the door control module.

Thanks again for your help Nigel.
    2013 A5 2.0 TDI (177) Black Edition

[s]2012 A1 1.4TFSI (185ps) Black Edition[s]

[s]MY2010 A4 1.8T (160) S-Line executive in brilliant Red[/s]

[s]2008 A3 TDI S-Line Cabriolet 8P3[/s]

A4 (B8) Door warning light and Glovebox retrofits. A1 Heated Mirrors Retrofit

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    uh oh here we go, ok I'm incommunicado now, lol, yeah ask

Reverse Gear

Status
    Guys, I am new to all of this stuff but keen to see what can be done with these leads and this software from Ross Tech. I have a 58 plate A3 S-line sportback with many many extras but I am keen to try and see what can be done with a few simple mods with the cables and software.

Although I had £9k's worth of extras put on the car consisting of lots of boys toys, I did not purchase the auto light facility and in hindsight, I wish I had. I would like my lights to come on and off in dusk conditions on approach to the vehicle but having read this post, I am reluctant to purchase any after-market leads or software if there are problems or no real software support to potential problems.

Having read the above post, has anyone else gone down this road and been successful with doing this??

What do people need from me apart from an obvious list of all the extras on the vehicle I suppose?

Looking forward to your replies..

Best regards

Claron 2000

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The auto lights, ch/lh, auto dimming etc systems can be retrofitted if you wanted mate, so you'd get 4-5 systems in one retrofit, send me a PM if interested.

Neutral

Status
    Was this resolved in the end? My 2009 A3 has Xenon auto lights & rain sensor, when i unlock the car the headlights come on, i would prefer DRL's and Fogs - is this possible?

I have VCDS and i've looked through the long coding an cannot see anything obvious, can anyone help?