Questions about VCDS purchase

Marc1

Reaction score
I'm a little confused with all this. I think the cable I need for my car is the HEX-CAN.usb interface with the latest software (805?). The car is a 2004 (54), A4 B6. Does anyone know if this is definately the correct version I need or is my car too old for this version?

Also has everyone bought directly from Ross-tech? Is this the safest way, I'm thinking warranty on hardware, etc? As they're across the pond, do you end up with import duties to pay? Or is it best to buy from one of their distibutors like http://www.ilexa.co.uk/ ?

I've also heard of people buying other leads and then upgrading from the shareware version to the fully registered version for around £70. This 'sounds' like a cheaper alternative, but is it legit, pose any problems etc.

Also is it simple to use? I initially want to check EGR, MAP and MAF as well as VNT actuator (as I'm overboosting causing limp mode).

After that, I'm thinking about some of the cooler codings you can do with it.

Thanks in advance.

The HEX-CAN-USB will be fine as I'm running it on my 51 plates S3. I think this cable is ok for any models after 1998, it says it somewhere on the site.

Dont worry about the version of the software because you just upgrade it when a new version comes out. Ross-Tech send you the cable only and then you download the software from their website. What happens is when you launch the software it detects whether you have a genuine Ross-Tech lead and will fully register the software. If you get a fleabay lead the software wont register and you wont be able to use all functions.

I bought from Ross-Tech and at the exchange rate at the time it worked out at around £270 then I got hit for £30 of import tax.

Cheers Westle, very imformative. Do you know how easy is it to use for specifics, rather than just auto scanning?

Marc1, have you been to the interactive manual on the Ross-Tech web site? Go this page and take a look there. http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html I think you will find that the program is easy to use. You may need to have access to a repair manual in order to understand all the information that VCDS will pull from the car.

The HEX-CAN-USB will be fine as I'm running it on my 51 plates S3. I think this cable is ok for any models after 1998, it says it somewhere on the site.

Dont worry about the version of the software because you just upgrade it when a new version comes out. Ross-Tech send you the cable only and then you download the software from their website. What happens is when you launch the software it detects whether you have a genuine Ross-Tech lead and will fully register the software. If you get a fleabay lead the software wont register and you wont be able to use all functions.

I bought from Ross-Tech and at the exchange rate at the time it worked out at around £270 then I got hit for £30 of import tax.

I have bought mine from "the creators !!of vagcom" from across the pond
Rosstech faster delivery than U.K. orders the import is the norm when importing goods and is pointed out initially by rosstech

great service

Marc1, have you been to the interactive manual on the Ross-Tech web site? Go this page and take a look there. http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html I think you will find that the program is easy to use. You may need to have access to a repair manual in order to understand all the information that VCDS will pull from the car.

Cheers Bearthebruce, I'll take a look at the interactive manual, I'd n ot seen that. I suppose think anything, if you want to learn how to use something properly you will invest more time into it.

I've got access to ETKA, ElsaWin and a trusty Haynes manual. DO you think that'll do or is there something more appropriate?

I have bought mine from "the creators !!of vagcom" from across the pond
Rosstech faster delivery than U.K. orders the import is the norm when importing goods and is pointed out initially by rosstech

great service

Good to hear they are reliable and efficient :thumbsup:

I've got access to ETKA, ElsaWin and a trusty Haynes manual. DO you think that'll do or is there something more appropriate?

You should not need more info than those. They are what we use to help customers repair their cars.