Audi A6 4F 3.0 tdi Battery Monitor

singhl

Reaction score
I have a 2004 3.0tdi A6 4F, there is a problem with the battery going flat, what follows is a summary of my problems:

I have the above car and it occasionally drains the battery and the car will not start. It has happened twice in the 3 months I have had it.
On the first occasion the battery level in the tv display showed 20% charge, but the car carried on working and starting (although interior lights stopped working and keyless entry also stopped), but would not show any extra charge. I then charged the battery with an external charger until it showed full on the charger, but the tv still showed only 20%.

I then dug around on some forums and found out about the battery management unit in the boot next to the battery earth terminal (Part No 4F0-910-181-A). The battery has been tested and is fine.

I unplugged it, made sure contacts were clean, and re-plugged it in and then I had 70% charge in battery.
That seemed to cure it for a while, since then I have had to jump start it twice because the battery has been flat, even though I do 150+ motorway miles most weekdays.

I have a third party (not VAG Com) diagnostic kit, which will not even find the unit, the J644 - Battery Regulation (#61). It sees all the other items in the car, and will read and reset fault codes.
I have rang local Audi dealer – and there is a newer part 4F0-910-181-B, with newer software in it. Looking on forums it seems to be problematic in Audi A6, A8 and VW phaetons, and a change of controller fixes it.

I think to controller also needs to be coded to the battery if it is replaced.

Audi are quoting £208.72 for the new part.

Does anyone have any info regarding this, or a CAN vagcom local to Birmingham that can see if it is my diag gizzmo that is faulty or the battery management unit?

Without a full/proper diagnostic protocol I wouldn't even bother looking to buy that new module. Besides a trillion other problems that the vehicle in question is known for, those modules usually allow flashing and can be updated.

Additionally I find it rather amusing that the dealer told you 4F0-910-181-B is the current part/software, it definitely is not. 4F0-910-181-E is current.

I think the B suffix is the part number and the F suffix is for the software, I am going to Midland VW tomorrow to get a full dealer VAG Com scan done, I will post the results hopefully tomorrow.

Out of interest how easy/difficult is it to flas hthes units and where or who would do that?

Well, you stated 4F0-910-181-B as latest part. That is a software part number and it is not the latest (see my above statement for details). Latest hardware part number would be 4F0-915-181-B. Reflashing can be done by every Audi dealer or others who have access to a factory scan tool (VAS 505x) as well as access to the update/flash cds or an online connection. But then again, I am not exactly certain that this will fix your problem as we know at least a hand full of other things which could cause the same problems. Still waiting for a full scan...

No probs sebastian - will get the scan tomorrow and post it up, many thanks for the help so far. Hopefully can get this sorted.

Got a vag com scan today and the following showed up for the battery monitor:
Address 61: Battery Regul.
control Module part Number: 4FO 910 181 E
Component and/or version: ENERGIEMANAGER H11 0370
software coding:
work Shop code: wsc 00482
Additional Info: 4F0915105E von VAO 0404210082
Additional Info: Geraet 13101
5 Faults Found:
02272 - Quiescent current stage 1
000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 108442 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2004.06.10
Time: 21:23:25

02256 - Quiescent Current
001 - upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 117
Mileage: 110123 km
Date: 2009:01.06
Time: 23:33:14

02277 - Quiescent 000 *Freeze Current Stage 6
000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 110123 km
Time Indication: 0 Date: 2009.01.06
Time: 21:32:15
00532 - supply voltage B+
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault priority: 1
Reset counter: 111
Mileage: 108442 km
Date: 2004.06.11
Time: 02:39:05
00456 - Control Module for Access and Start control (J518)
004 - NO signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault priority: 5
Reset counter: 102
Mileage: 109387 km

The interesting thing was that the battery part number was set up as 4F0915105E int the battery monitor when it showed 4F0915105D on the battery itself.

The 2 part numbers are differ in capacity of the battery, the E is 100Ah and the D is 110Ah, so obviously the monitor thought I had a smaller capacity battery fitted?

Don't know if this inportant, it has now been corrected and the faults cleared.

Any help appreciated.

Its possible that the incorrect battery coding is responsible, but first of all this is not the full scan I had in mind when I asked. As said there are a bunch of more possible causes and without a proper/full scan from the vehicle its pointless to even start looking for them. For whats its worth though, this modules software version is still outdated, 4F0-910-181-E @ 0490 is current.

Will get, a full vag-com scan done later this week, we agreed that I woul drive for a week and go back and get re-scanned.

ANy ideas where I would be able to get the s/w updated for the battery controller ion the birmingham / west midlands area?

Sorry, I'm not from the UK so I cannot give any advice on where to find a local/suitable dealer for this purpose. Theoretically all of them are able to perform these updates.

Had the battery monitor update to latest from stoke Audi, also came across the following service bulletin from the USA - http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/13/883667/audi.tb.91-07-13.pdf, which required an MMI update, did all the updates required, my car was at a very old version (sorry cannot remember what version), I have now updated to the latest, left the car for over 3 weeks at an airport whilst on holiday, and it started first time when I got back.

Thanks to everyone for all their help - so if you suffer with this problem I think the MMI update is the fix and the battery monitor will also be good.