ABS controller Communication

enda1

Reaction score
I've got a 99 A6 1.8t. Over the last couple of weeks the ABS light and the big red brake warning light on the DIS have been coming on intermittently but are staying on for londer and longer.
I ran a vagcom (version 704.1 i think and with KEY-USB cable) scan and this is what I got

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-111-EDS.LBL
Part No: 8E0 614 111 B
Component: ABS/EDS 5.3 FRONT D10
1 Fault Found:
01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

I checked the output from the wheel sensors and they are all measuring the same speed so I'm assuming they are fine.
I ran the output test on the ABS system and everything appeared fine in that the ABS pump cycled and I could feel the pedal pulsing as each wheel valve was tested.

On Ross-Tech Wiki I got the following
01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster: No Signal
Possible Symptoms
ABS Malfunctions
Possible Causes
Wiring between ABS and Instrument Cluster defective
ABS incorrectly coded
Instrument Cluster defective (rare)
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring between ABS and Instrument Cluster for Short to Plus
Check ABS Coding
Check Instrument Cluster

Can anyone point me in the direction of:
1) Where the defective wiring (if that) could be is there a know chaffing point on the cable runs
2) Is there a way to test my instrument cluster to see if this is the problem
3) Is there a way to test the ABS ECU.

From what i've read it would appear that I need to get the ECU fixed and bba-reman seem to be the folks to do it but I want to make sure before spending the money

Sent the ABS module to BBA-reman for repair and got it back on friday. Fitted it on Saturday and scanned with Vagcom. All problems solved. Very impressed with BBA-remans service and a good price

interesting, cheers for the reply.

How much did it cost and what was the issue?. I havent got this problem but would be interested in knowing.

I'll need to check the invoice for the fault but I think a connection in the ecu becomes loose over time. I think the standard cost is £100 but since I'm in Ireland I had to pay extra for shipping. All in with insurance it cost about £180 and the unit has a 2 year guarantee