Problem with vag-com.

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
I have the registered version of vag-com 409.1 s.
It was working ok until i borrowed the cable to my friend as he was having trouble with his cable.......he said your cable dont work either.

I got it back and pluged in to my 2001 A4 audi and to my suprise it didnt work! WHY ? it was working 2 weeks ago,fine. Never had a problem,now when i plug into a car this is what i get:

interface status = -1
interface not ready !
possible reasons
incorrect com port
interface not plugged in
ignition not turned on
k-line stuck
update needed
for more details use test screen on option screen.

Please help! dont know why its gone like this!

your mate has blown your lead up, my main guess is that he has an aftermarket stereo, this is usually the reason.
start by measuring the voltage across pins 4 & 7 where the purple plug goes in the car.
you should have below 9 volts with the ignition on.

your mates car will probably be around 12v (which will blow the lead)
your car if the lead worked before will be below 9v.

your mate has blown your lead up, my main guess is that he has an aftermarket stereo, this is usually the reason.
start by measuring the voltage across pins 4 & 7 where the purple plug goes in the car.
you should have below 9 volts with the ignition on.

your mates car will probably be around 12v (which will blow the lead)
your car if the lead worked before will be below 9v.

so will an aftermarket stereo in any car blow a lead??? what do we need to do disconnect the stereo b4 using vagcom?

dont know all the in and outs of it but something when connecting another stereo to the audi loom puts 12v on the k-line which is fine untill you connect your diognostic lead.
there is a fix, you need to put a 1k resistor across pins 4 & 7 which will bring the voltage down when ignition is on.
i have a link somewhere, once i find it i will post it on for you.

And when you buy the real genuine product from Ross-Tech, we have built in circuit detection for the aftermarket radio problem which protects both your lead and your computer. :arco:

if i was to use an aftermarket lead would all of the features of vagcom work or just some?

you need the correct lead for the correct software version as far as im aware.
409 doesnt let you do alot at all.

The aftermarket cables allow you to run the shareware version of our older product - VAG-COM. You can buy a license from Ross-Tech for a full version of that older software for $99. You can see what is supported in shareware in this Function List.