Need some info regarding registration please

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have a third party cable which I'm using. It has been working fine until now with a shareware version.

Now I want to be fully registered.

1. If I use the third party cable, will ALL the funtions of vagcom work when I'm registered?

2. If later, I want to buy one of the cable from ross-tech, will I still be able to use the same registered software?

3. Will I be able to update the software and still use the third party cable?

4. what happens if ever the pc/laptop being used becomes faulty, will i be able to use the registered vagcom on another pc (installing again?)

I have a third party cable which I'm using. It has been working fine until now with a shareware version.

Now I want to be fully registered.

1. If I use the third party cable, will ALL the funtions of vagcom work when I'm registered?

2. If later, I want to buy one of the cable from ross-tech, will I still be able to use the same registered software?

3. Will I be able to update the software and still use the third party cable?

4. what happens if ever the pc/laptop being used becomes faulty, will i be able to use the registered vagcom on another pc (installing again?)

1. All the functions of version 409 will work, but this is now quite an old version, and a good few functions have been added to the latest version which you will still not have.

2. If you upgrade to a Ross-Tech cable, then you would not need to use the same software, since then you would be able to use their latest software and get the latest functions. I believe, however, that you would get is discount of the $99 registration fee off of the price of any upgrade you purchase.

3. No, version 409 is the latest version which is compatible with 3rd party cables.

4. You can only install your registered version of VagCom on 1 PC at a time. However, if your PC becomes faulty (or you change it etc.) then I believe you can unregister the software from one PC, and ask Ross-Tech to provide you with a new license for the new PC.

I hope this helps - I think I am correct but you would be advised to check with Ross-Tech before parting with any cash....

Ade

thanks for the clarifications :)

My car is an A3 year 2000. Will the new functions be needed for now?

thanks for the clarifications :)

My car is an A3 year 2000. Will the new functions be needed for now?

I guess that depends on what you want to do :)

I don't really know what the new version can do - I only have a registered copy of version 409. As far as reading / clearing faults, measuring blocks, adapting / coding control modules etc then as far as I'm aware you don't need the newer versions. Your main reason to upgrade would be if you bought a post-2004 CANBUS compatible car and could no longer use your existing interface. If you are interested in the additional features of the new software though, then I imagine you can find info on them on the Ross-Tech website.

If you do register your software, perhaps you can let me know if you have any luck performing an auto-scan. I can auto-scan my A4 ok, but I tried auto-scanning my mate's 2001 S3 and it wouldn't work. Be interested to hear how it goes on a similar platform.

Cheers,
Ade

That's teh shareware version I'm currently using- v 409

Think I'll be registering very soon and I'll post results when done :)

Common difference between versions and between Fully Registered and Shareware.

Shareware:

Cannot do AutoScan
Won't display text for all fault codes
No Basic Settings (so no TBA, Xenon levelling, etc or checking timing on TDI's)
No Adaptation Saving (so no changing of locking/lights/horn behavior)
No Output Tests
No Tech Support from Ross-Tech

Limitations of 311 and 409 even if Fully Registered:

No Generic OBD-II
Won't work with CAN-Bus vehicles
Fewer fault code definitions and label files
No built-in Activation (you'll be limited to a single PC)
No Advanced Measuring Blocks
No Acceleration Measurement
No Automatic Service Reminder Reset
No Session Log Support
No Dual ECU Support
No Automatic Updates
No Guided Readiness
No Acceleration Measurement

Does that answer your questions?

Sebastien, thanks for your reply. I just sent you an email :)