What Cable?

justandy

Not an S3 owner!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in doing some of the mods described on the A3 forum, so I need a cable for VAG-COM, my car is an A3 2008.

I looked at a few of the handheld options but I think $99 (£50) is a good price for the official software key.

Thanks

Andy

What cable is that mate?

I recently bought the VCDS (VAG.COM) and Micro-CAN cable. It does all Golf MkV based vehicles so is perfectly good enough for the A3. But it's not known whether Golf MkVI vehicles will work on CAN. I don't intend to buy another new car for a while if ever so it's ok for me. Ross tech will also do trade ins anyway so you can upgrade to an Hex+CAN later on.

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VAGCOM

Hi,

I'm interested in doing some of the mods described on the A3 forum, so I need a cable for VAG-COM, my car is an A3 2008.

I looked at a few of the handheld options but I think $99 (£50) is a good price for the official software key.

That license is no use to you I'm afraid (unless you have bought a second hand lead and simply want to register it with Ross-Tech). As they detail here, for the 2008 A3 you need a CAN compatible cable, and these do not operate via the soft-licensing method - you need a dongle-cable such as this.

If you do buy a lead from a 3rd party, make sure it is an original Ross-Tech lead you are buying - none of the ~£15 jobbies you see on fleebay etc. are going to work for your car. Ross-Tech have a list of authorized 3rd party retailers here.

Cheers,
Ade

Thanks,

coo that's a bit expensive just to turn a few lights on! Maybe I can wait for the Chinese to produce something CAN compatible.

nice! It is always a pleasure to hear from people who decide that ripping off the company that does the work to create an affordable and solid tool is the plan.

Bruce,

whoa hold the phone there! What I want, if such a thing is possible, is a CAN compatible lead that will work with a $99 licensed version of VAG-COM, I am very happy to pay this!

After all the cheapest option to me is a Micro-CAN version at $250, I cannot justify this just to turn a few lights on!

Andy

What I want, if such a thing is possible, is a CAN compatible lead that will work with a $99 licensed version of VAG-COM

It isn't possible though. As I said, the CAN compatible leads do not operate using a soft-license. You need a dongle-cable, and a non-Ross-Tech lead (Chinese or otherwise) that works with the latest version of VagCom will be counterfeit.

Ade

Ah well, I will keep my eye out for a second hand micro-can (genuine of course!)

I am right in thinking these only work with the Golf mk5 chassis based cars and nothing else?

Andy