fitting new instrument cluster

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hope some one can help, i have a 99 b5 a4 2.5tdi, just bought brand new instrument cluster from ebay to fix dis screen

i have the 4 digit skc code for the original cluster and vag-com dongle

first which type of immobilizer do i have?
second do i have to go to audi to have them fitted?

vag-com info seems to suggest a 7 digit skc code has to be generated does that mean new clocks do not actually have any codes already in them?
it also claims there is no other way to read skc other than with dealer tool, but i had keys coded into my other car by a local auto locksmith who read skc code with hand held device, would he be able to read new clocks? he read 4 digit number, vag-com info suggests i need a 7 digit number to fit them or is that if i cant get 4 digit one?

any help/info on this would be greatly appreciated, has anyone had cluster replaced by dealer? quoted £458 for exchange cluster from audi, paid £90 ish on ebay

im not an expert but have read around the subject while trying to code a key to my immobiliser.
Apparently the skc it can be read with certain tools but i dont think their cheap, also the dealer does not give you the skc anymore as it is hidden from the workshop computers (it needs access to audi servers etc).

You could try transferring the dis between the clocks? not sure if this is possible...

or get a quote for audi to fit/code your clocks as this should be pretty strainghtforward for them to do...

7 digit is the equivelent to 4 digit but the 7 digit is encoded with the date it was created and the workshop code so you need these to use the 7 digit code. so 4 digit is easier if oyu can get it, but you can use either

Im not sure if ive cleared anything up for you

I had my S3 cluster coded by audi, I did as you, got it from fleabay & asked them to code it in, they charged me I think £140, so thats far cheaper than £458, there are some auto key guys out there but personally i wouldnt trust that kinda thing to an outsider, the whole point of hiding it from the stealers is for car security, you saved hundreds on the DIS, just pay audi to do the job properly coding it, I actually took all the dash trims of & screws in prep for them so all they did was unclip old one, plug in new & code, I told them not to install fully to save on time charged so I put all trims etc back myself, takes them hardly any time at all, you can get them to charge you for half an hours labour as thats all they would need really TBH, but as I said its still hundreds less than them supply/fitting.

There is actually a whole section on rosstech about immo versions & coding of clusters & its very informative, have a read up cause if you have skc you might be able to do yourself anyway, but must be brand new cluster from what I remember or less than 100 miles on the clock of new one.

yes i agree fully suggest that you pretty much fit it before they take a look that way you should be only charged approx an hour or two labour...

either way you will save on the dealer only price...

can you not fix the dis as i have seen stuff of replacing the elastomer etc without replacing the clocks totally ?

there are even tools that will do a reset to virgin state so a second hand cluster becomes a zero mileage vag-com recodable installable cluster

try to find someone with the full version of vag k+can commander (ps the chinese clones of this tool will not work for this)

there are even tools that will do a reset to virgin state so a second hand cluster becomes a zero mileage vag-com recodable installable cluster

**** really, thats handly to know that now, as I always say nothings impossible.

think ill go with local locksmith to read 4 digit code then have a go myself, was confused by vag-com instructions as they tell you how to use 7 digit code, which youd have to take car to audi to get anyway and they wont or cant actually give it to to?

nigel, was your cluster new or used?