A3 DRLs - keeping them on

Not with VAG.COM. I have tried all the lights setting recently and found that you can have your xenon mains as DRLs instead of the DRLs themselves. Not a help to you.

You could rewire them to do what you want though.

I've been having a play with DRLs on my 2005 with Xenon and the US setting doesn't do anything. The Scandinavia setting switches on the rears and Xenon, if I set the use fog lights I get the side lamps and fogs on at the front with the rears on.

Is there any other combination, is it possible to have dimmed fogs for example ?

What does the US setting do ? Are there loom cables hidden somehwere for US style side markers, that could be use to run DRLs.

Just exploring the options.

Autoscan of the Central Electrics Module below (latest VCDS release).

Thanks,

Paul

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 8P0-907-279-23-H.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 907 279 C HW: 8P0 907 279 C
Component: Bordnetz-SG H34 0301
Revision: 00H34000 Serial number: 00000001402122
Coding: E18A5F16A214100000000000000000000000FE0F5C
Shop #: WSC 00067 210 88431

Part No: 8P2 955 119 B
Component: Wischer AU350 H01 0130
Coding: 00062736
Shop #: WSC 00067

Part No: 4E0 910 557
Component: REGENLICHTSENSORH10 0050
Coding: 00150573
Shop #: WSC 00067

No fault code found.

Are there loom cables hidden somehwere for US style side markers, that could be use to run DRLs.

No the loom is not there, but if you already have DRLs why would you want a feed for them? To keep them on permanantly as mitch was after?

No I like the idea of having DRLs but don't fancy having the Xenons on (fuel ecomomy) or full brightness front fogs (look like a chav).

If the US DRLs had an unused cable somewhere in the loom, I could get creative with some subtle LED based front DRLs.

Setting to US DRLs didn't seem to actually do anything, the module kept the change of option, but there wasn't any lights showing.

Paul

No I like the idea of having DRLs but don't fancy having the Xenons on (fuel ecomomy) or full brightness front fogs (look like a chav).

If the US DRLs had an unused cable somewhere in the loom, I could get creative with some subtle LED based front DRLs.

Setting to US DRLs didn't seem to actually do anything, the module kept the change of option, but there wasn't any lights showing.

Paul

I'm a bit confused, am I right in thinking that you have xenons but they don't have DRLs because they're the older type?

I'm a bit confused, am I right in thinking that you have xenons but they don't have DRLs because they're the older type?

I suspect so, in the lamp I have indicator, dipped Xenon, main halogen and a very small side light.

So setting the Scandinavian option puts the rear and Xenons on, US shows nowt, and the other option is the Scandinavian, but with use front fogs as DRLs. That one switches off the Xenon beam, leaves on the small side lamp (in the same reflector as the Halogen High beam) and puts the front fogs on full tilt.

Do the later front lights have a separate DRL lamp that doesn't look like it belongs in a torch ?

Thanks,

Paul

Do the later front lights have a separate DRL lamp that doesn't look like it belongs in a torch ?
Paul

The outer lights are the xenons dipped and main, the inner has the small sidelight bulb coming in from above and also a quite large (about the size of the tail light) bulb in the centre which is the DRL.

If you want to set up LED DRLs I would suggest using the side light feed to power them. Of course then you'd have to have tail lights on with them.

I guess that I will be looking at running some subtle LED ones then and picking up a live ignition feed from somewhere else.

I have auto lights and so using the sidelight lamp wouldn't be practical as I'd have to keep changing the light switch position.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

I guess that I will be looking at running some subtle LED ones then and picking up a live ignition feed from somewhere else.

I have auto lights and so using the sidelight lamp wouldn't be practical as I'd have to keep changing the light switch position.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

Ah right I see, yes an ign feed would be far more practical.

While we're on the subject of LED DRLs I have seen a few audis kicking around now with a strip of LEDs below the midline and I don't really like it. Even the standard A6 ones look a bit tacky now. What are you planning to do Paul? If you can put them inside the light housing itself that would look far better.

I have seen pictures of a Mark V Golf with them on the underside of the bonnet. I am thinking of something similar, but with the A3 lights I could affix the LED strips to the top of the light lens, well back though so that they are covered by the bonnet.

So no need to take the light apart, but should give a subtle DRL light effect.

Paul