B5 RS4 esp button problem! Help

launching_rs4

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Chasing some help from fellow B5 RS4 owners & techs regarding a problem I am having with my esp button, which currently isn't working.

Short story is, I was checking the car via vag the other day and during getting side tracked by phone calls I accidently logged into adaption channels in channel 03 abs module with what I think was the wrong code and on top of that I went into adaption channel 00 and saved to defaults etc. No ever since then my esp button doesn't work! No dtc errors and the abs and esp lights come on and then go off when turning ignition on, so all seems normal except the button doesn't work. From people's advice I then did the abs & esp test via vag in measure blocks and the next morning the button worked again, only then 20 minutes later while driving it stopped working once more! This is driving me nuts, I hope someone can help me out. I think I entered the incorrect login code in 03 abs, does/can anyone supply me the correct login number? Also I don't think the problem is actually with the button itself as its had been working flawlessly until this event and didn't need any extra force for the button to turn things on & off. I have also tried holding the button for an extended amount of time and nothing happens.

Below is my ecu # and coding numbers for ecu & abs modules, hope this can help my cause as to compare with what you fellow B5 RS4's have:

The 5 digit coding of my ecu & abs modules in Vag are as follows:

ECU – 05711 – my actual ecu part # is 8D0 907 551D

ABS – 04395 ( VAG 8D0 907 389E – Component ABS/ESP Allrad D56 )

Also how this came about as I mentioned was that I saved adaption channel 00 in abs module 03 address, but I went into that last night and from channel 00-99 there is no information to change in the adaption channels anyway so I can’t see how that could do anything bad but it seems like it has in some way?

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated

Damian
Melbourne, Australia
2001 RS4 - Avus Silver

Thanks for that info, I'll give it a try. Not sure about which brake code number in the login to pick for B5 RS4?

Hey Sabastian

Tried out the login/recode procedure and still no luck! Don't know where to from here, this one's really got me stumped. Did the recode last night and checked soon after and the button still wouldn't work. Then this morning it was working fine for a short time then after a 30 minute drive I went to turn it off just to check again and the esp light stayed on and the button wouldn't turn it off. No dtc codes, turned ignition off, turn ignition on esp & abs lights come on and go out as normal, button doesn't worl at all again??

Just want to make sure I have done the recode properly as I haven't done this before. So I go to abs 03 module, put login code in, then put recode code in, go into fault codes and clear them in there are any. Turn steering wheel left 30 degrees and then back straight. login again with 40168 then go to measure blocks 005 (do I do anything in 005 or just go into it and then click done after a few seconds?) and then thats about it? I have done all this while staying in 03 abs module, not sure if I am supposed to exit the module and re-enter it after I the login/recode part?

Damian

The way you did it sounds totally right, to be honest I'm getting out of ideas here too. None of the VW/Audi documentation states sth. about this, nor can I think of any reason why/when it would.

Have you sord that out yet? I have same kind of problem with swich. I is just dead. Esp works ok but "funbutton" does not. any ideas? And car is also B5 rs4 01.

Thanks all your efford!