Camshaft ****** setpoint not reached & fuel trim Q's

Meza

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to here (got myself a AMK engine S3 at the start of Sept). The emissions light came on so I thought I better get myself a VAGCOM. I've pulled down the codes and cleared them, and am now wondering what I should be doing about them. These are the codes and the info I found on the VAGCOM wiki:

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

[edit]
Possible Symptoms

• Power Loss
[edit]
Possible Causes

• Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
  • Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
[edit]
Possible Solutions

• Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
  • Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
(intermittent)

17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean

[edit]
Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
[edit]
Possible Causes

• Mass Air Flow Sensor faulty
  • Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
  • Fuel Injector(s) faulty
[edit]
Possible Solutions

• Check Mass Air Flow Sensor
  • Check Oxygen Sensor Control
  • Check Fuel Injector(s)
The last code I couldn't find on the VAGCOM wiki, but saw some Seat Leon people with the same one...
17947 - Clutch Pedal Switch (F36): Implausible Signal

Now I don't know if it's running as quick as it should do because I've got nothing to compare the car to. The only possible problem I can detect with the engine is a funny burp noise when getting back on the gas after changing gear - apparently this could be the diverter valve. I'm planning on swapping that for a Forge soon anyhow.
The emissions light hasn't come back on yet (2 days).

Can the vagcom brains suggest what my next steps are to getting to the bottom of these codes please?

The Mass Air Flor sensor is a common fault on these engines. However, you should do a check for what values its giving you. You can do a 4th gear power run and measure block 002 for that.

Block 099 measures O2 Sensor control on the last column but I have never used that so far. It would be interesting to see those values.

Its worth doing a bit of logging an post up the results mate.

In terms of the Clutch Pedal Switch, I have heard that. It would probably make the revs hang when you let off to change gear. Implausible signal usually means it needs changing. Its under the steering culumn, behind the pedal I think.

What's that, stick it in 4th and floor it from the bottom to the top of the revs?

The clutch one - that sounds like exactly it. I thought the holding of the revs was some feature of the drive-by-wire, ha. :D

I'll get the data and report back. Also going to try disconnecting the MAF and see if that makes a difference. Cheers

Changed my mind about logging the MAF data. I disconnected it and went for a spin - wow. The car is transformed, it is far more powerful up the rev range. Now I'm feeling the kind of boost people talk about when it 'sticks you in the back of the seat'.

So the MAF is knackered. Where's the best place to get one quick at a decent price?

If you would have posted your Auto-Scan instead of full quoting our WIKI one might be able to give you more details on the missing code. Please do not full quote dynamic pages like our WIKI, a link or an excerpt usually does it - thanks.

Oops sorry, I didn't know that.
I replaced the MAF and the car now positively flies! Very happy.
The MAF was £64+vat exchange from Audi, in stock at my local stealers as well :) Plus I got to drool over the 3 R8s in the showroom.