Backup settings for Tiptronic Gearbox

meatychi

Reaction score
I am experiencing intermittent problems with my gearbox it reverts to the backup program.

The following VAG-COM fault codes are apparent:

VAG-COM Version: Release 607.3-D

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 927 156 BH

Component and/or Version: AG5 01V 2.5lTDI RdW 9016

Software Coding: 00000

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

1 Fault Found:

18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU

P1857 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

VAG-COM Version: Release 607.3-D

====================================

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 907 401 K

Component and/or Version: 22.5l/4VT EDC 0000AG D50

Software Coding: 01004

Work Shop Code: WSC 00012

1 Fault Found:

01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal

27-00 - Implausible Signal

meatychi said:
I am experiencing intermittent problems with my gearbox it reverts to the backup program.

The following VAG-COM fault codes are apparent:
1 Fault Found:

18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU

P1857 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
It doesn't help you, meatychi, but I've just had this code dragged out of my car by TC Garage in Sussex and they couldn't decipher the reason why my Tiptronic box is jumping into Limp-Home Mode either.

Inevitably the car behaved perfectly while they had it for testing, but on the way home from their workshop the fault cropped up for me. Typical. That's the fifth time since I bought the car in November.

Every time it's happened I've been driving at walking pace (e.g. in a traffic jam) after a journey of at least 10 miles. When does this happen to your gearbox, meatychi? Whenever it happens I can clear the fault by turning off the engine and restarting. Same for you?

Hi Silicons

Your problem is different to the one I am experiencing! My motor isnt limping home, it reverts to the backup programme and doesnt change gears when it is suppose to.

Did you have this problem before it started limping home? Or is what i am experiencing - limp home mode?

Hi,

The only info I've got is from my Audi dealer. I described the symptoms as follows:
- sudden mild jerk from the transmission
- all transmission gear indicator characters (P R N D 4 3 2) become simultaneously illuminated in the dashboard computer display
- car feels heavy and sluggish
- Tiptronic manual controls don't work.

Audi told me that this indicates the gearbox has dropped into 'Limp-Home Mode', which holds the gearbox in third gear to protect it. They offered to plug their computer into the car to read the fault code, which would cost me an hour's labour. TC Garage's hourly rate was half the Audi one. :happy:

I don't know if the limp-home mode is the same as your backup program. Do the symptoms sound the same at all? If so then we may be able to work together to diagnose the problems we're having. I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment.

Yeah it sounds similar - it only happens with me, if i jump into the car and try and start it before all the lights have done their business.

But yes it clunks, all my gear lights come on and it stays n first gear and doesnt let me change using tip.

So i stop turn off let it restart properley and then its fine!

Did anyone ever find out what was causing this - I have this fault following water buidling up in the area under the battery and inundating the footwell and presumably the electrics in the area.

I didn't get an answer back in 2007, and after a while I realised the situation wasn't getting any worse, and happened very infrequently. The gearbox never dropped into 'limp-home' mode when my wife drove the car so I started to think that it was perhaps my driving style that was causing it. It wasn't an inconvenience so I stopped worrying about it.

I wish you luck diagnosing/fixing the problem with yours. If the electronics have got wet then I suspect you'll need new ones.